What tools do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might consider it if it replaces these tools with better tools. Can you link to a product? Google can't seem to find it.

The "Tobin Tool" is an awesome tool which takes up almost zero space and weighs amost nothing as it is half air. And it's cheap. Everyone can own one. What an elegant solution.
I might consider it if it replaces these tools with better tools. Can you link to a product? Google can't seem to find it.
Tobin runs Deep Sea Supply (DSS). He makes very nice BP/W rigs, BTW.
He also produces a number of nifty gadgets.
I think evad is referring to the DSS power inflator service tool.
With the "tool," a couple of zipties, proper o-rings, and some silicone grease, you can usually repair a leaky power inflater in just a few minutes.

FWIW, Oxycheq makes a similar tool that also has an end which helps you take apart a tank valve. That's the one I own.

Xtra LP Miflex hose, xtra regular HP hose, Sog multitool knife, two small adjustable wrenches, a small scuba tool that has allen wrenches,'O' ring picks and a few other items on it...a small flat scuba tool w/several different size open end wrenches on either ends, ty-wraps, 1st stage plugs, mouth piece, small dia. bungee cord, spare compass, spare mask, spare computer w/transmitter and spare 1st stage.....Except for the hoses I can get it all in a soft mask carrier and a hard mask box..... It all goes in a regular size backpack w/my regulator,gloves, dive computer, din/yoke adapter, dive tables, mask defog and a few other odds & ends....Sounds like alot but it's really not and doesn't weigh much....The backpack is easy to store even on a crowded boat and the right kind has zippers that can have small locks attached.......It can be carried on your shoulders leaving both hands free....

I'm a traveling diver and must account for weight. I take a scuba multi-tool, a small adjustable wrench, O-rings, computer batteries, and zip ties in a small waterproof box. I've had to switch out hoses a few times and the O-rings have come in handy. Other than that, I've had few problems with routine service of my equipment.

Good diving, Craig

It's pretty clear that the OP was interested in finding out what tools divers bring with them into the UW environment...you know...on a dive.
Instead, he got a laundry list of all the stuff divers keep in their save-a-dive kits which travel with them to the dive site but remain topside during the dive.

In my experience, very few divers bring tools underwater with them. If dive equipment requires that level of fixin', it would make sense to just abort the dive and do the repair topside on dry land or on a boat where one can take his time to troubleshoot/fix the issue.

Or perhaps I completely misunderstood what the OP was asking...

I carry:
Torx, SAE & metric allen wrenches (the kind that fold into the handle)
Adjustable end wrench
1/2" wrench
multi-bit screwdriver
Channel-lock pliers
Wire cutters
Vise grips
Brass, plastic, & SS pics
Viton o-rings
Christolube & silicone
Length of shock cord and cave line
Butane lighter
Snap-lights
Spare batteries for electronics
LP, HP, and DIN adapter plugs
White duct tape
Clear packing tape
Black electrical tape
Pens and permanent markers
Zip-ties, assorted sizes
Inner tube rubber bands
Golf tees
Foam ear plugs
Folding knife
Spare buckle
Spare hardware for doubles bands
Hose holders
Empty ziplock bags
Zipper lube
Bolt snaps in various sizes

Just happen to have my kit in front of me. All fits into a Pelican case. It stays on the boat, or car if shore diving.

Which Pelican case and also what do you do with the golf tees and foam ear plugs? Also, what is a snap-light? Are they those little clip on LED lights?

It does seem like he wanted to know what you take on the dive, not what you leave in the boat or car. I carry a dive knife on my waist, a spare dive knife attached to my right hip pocket with a pair of shears inside a pocket on the other side. I also carry Zip-ties. Other things I'm considering are a spare mask, and Z-Cutter which I have but not placed on my rig yet.

Depends on whether its lobster season, but I do try to follow the rule of one activity at a time. Right now here is what I am carrying
lobster tickle stick
lobster snare
lobster bag
Gopro hd camera on a pole mount
lionfish spear
Small blunt but sharp dive knife mounted to BCD
Giant Safety sausage clipped to bc and stowed in pocket

Last edited:
Which Pelican case and also what do you do with the golf tees and foam ear plugs? Also, what is a snap-light? Are they those little clip on LED lights?

I carry a few golf tees because before I carried the pics, I had to sharpen and shape a tee as an improvised pick for removing an o-ring. I don't really need them anymore, but they don't take up much room or weigh a lot. The earplugs are for noisy dive boats. The snap lights are the cyalume stick lights, the ones you snap and shake, and glow usually green or orange. The Pelican case is a model 1300.

I thought the OP asked what tools were used to "save a dive", not realizing that he meant that I take with me on the dive. Only tools I take with me on a dive are a few knives (blunt and pointed tip) and paramedic shears.

As the dad, I wind up carrying the most gear in the family. Along with spare parts (mask straps, etc), tools, I have learned are a must. One dive, even though we checked his gear, my youngest son's alternate air hose loosened at the yoke and began leaking. Quick fix with a wrench, dive killer without.

Along with some emergency spare parts I dive with two light wrenches, a small knife with blunt tip as a screw driver and a few other things.

What are some of you taking with you that you find is a dive saver?

The only tools I take on the dive with me are 1 or 2 cutting tools and 3 zip ties in the back of my wetnotes (if I take my wetnotes which I usually only do on deco or training dives). Never had a hose come loose or any other equipment failure that caused me to thumb a dive but if I did I would

As the dad, I wind up carrying the most gear in the family. Along with spare parts (mask straps, etc), tools, I have learned are a must. One dive, even though we checked his gear, my youngest son's alternate air hose loosened at the yoke and began leaking. Quick fix with a wrench, dive killer without.

Along with some emergency spare parts I dive with two light wrenches, a small knife with blunt tip as a screw driver and a few other things.

What are some of you taking with you that you find is a dive saver?

The only tools I carry are for a specific job I am there to do. I have never carried tools to repair my equipment underwater. I would suggest at the start of your dive you do a leak check of each others gear before you go down. Do they no longer teach that in OW class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom