Current NC dive conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are supposed to come down from Maine to dive with Olympus Dive Center next week.

I noticed on their Facebook page that diving has been cancelled for this weekend due to conditions.

How bad is current Viz?

Should we postpone????

I was talking to my buddy who owns a dive shop and rummer has it that some of the wrecks have been displaced... My understanding is when they arrive onsite and drop down to set the anchor, they are not finding the ship... Now I hope I am not starting a rumor and I don't have any names yet but I hear this is one of the problems they are having...

There should be some chatter over the next couple of days about the wrecks and IF SOME have really been displaced or regarding the vis... Vis out here can always be can, catch can but I also heard that it was quite poor...!!!

lee

edit, I just read where someone mentioned in another thread that the Spar had in fact been displaced by some 200'. This is one of the boats that was mentioned to me earlier today by a friend. I also understand that this is not the only wreck that was displaced... Best to you! lee

Last edited:
Edit: Just realized you mentioned the Facebook post yourself. Sorry, shouldn't be posting before my second cup of coffee. Good luck with your trip.:coffee:

The cancellation is due to low vis on the wrecksites. We just had a major hurricane pass up the coast and the long period swell takes out the vis. Sometimes it clears in a few days other times it takes a week or so. They are doing the right thing with cancelling this weekend and there will be steady improvement over time as the sand and sediments falls out of the water. Next week the vis may be just a bit fuzzy but the diving should be good, plus lots of new stuff will be exposed and who knows just what you might see. Check with Olympus before your trip and they will tell you like it is, they are a good operator.

The movement of the wrecks is common after such an event, especially the artifical reef sites. They are not yet as broken down and embedded into the bottom as the older wreck sites, so they can move around a little. Not a real issue for a dive boat to relocte them as they don't go far. It is just like the old days prior to GPS - you get near the spot and start a sonar search. The older sites just get slightly rearranged and change a bit in appearance.

Akyla took the words out of my mouth. Keep close contact with any of the folks at Olympus, they will be happy to keep you updated on the conditions. As soon as I get out I will immediately post the conditions here myself, as I am sure Dave will do from up north on the banks.
Mike

We have decided to postpone until October. Thanks for the replies.

Viz was near zero on Friday just about everywhere. We scratched out 2 on the Aeolus and it was maybe 8 feet. We skipped saturday and then went Sunday. It was highly improved. 40' on the Papoose and 25' on the Spar. She did move quite a bit and has a serious list to port. It is a whole new wreck, but unfortunately we lost the flat platform of the upper deck when she tilted and that was good for training dives.

I have my fingers crossed that Katia will not kill this coming weekend.

olympus will be running a boat our thursday. One of the local head boats have reported calm blue water out at the wrecks, so it looks promising.
Olympus is running some good deals, 2 days or more and get free lodging..

I know discovery has been running boats so they may have a better handle on the vis. situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom