San Antonio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, me and my family are planning on a small family vacation to San Antonio in October. I was wondering if there was anywhere that I could dive and my family could tour. Like an aquarium or if they offer anything like that at seaworld. Were not going to be there very long so I didn't want to completely ditch them and go ocean diving, so I was hoping there was an aquarium or something that allowed you to dive. Any info helps, thanks in advanced.

As far as I know Sea World doesn't have any scuba diving options for the public. They do have a behind the scenes tour that you and your family might find interesting.

New Braunfels is about 30 miles N of San Antonio and you can putter around in the Comal River at Hineman Island park. It's about 14' deep right at the dam. The rest is maybe 4-8ft deep. If you get in trouble stand up. :) Viz is good and it's a nice little drift 'dive'. The park is there if your family wants to swim or play. There is shade and picnic tables. Shouldn't be too crowded during the week now that school has started.

I would recommend Sea World in San Antonio as well, mostly because it's the last Sea World with a waterski show and it's awesome. Amazing skiers and if you like watersports, it's a good one to catch.

When I take people to SA this is an easy day. Start at Mission San Jose, preferably on a Sunday morning to catch the mariachi mass. Stop at the Buckhorn Hall of Horns for a very touristy view of Texas. Have lunch on the River Walk, I like Casa Rio. Walk a bit north to the Hyatt, cut through the lobby and you should be looking at the Alamo chapel. To your left there is an excavated section of the original outer wall of the mission. Tour the Alamo and finish in the Menger Hotel bar (right across the street) where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders.

Covers a lot of bases in 5 hours. You get the best restored Spanish mission in the US, a quick trip through Anglo Texas, a better than decent tex-mex lunch, the River Walk, the Alamo and a unique room tied to one of our most dynamic presidents.

When I take people to SA this is an easy day. Start at Mission San Jose, preferably on a Sunday morning to catch the mariachi mass. Stop at the Buckhorn Hall of Horns for a very touristy view of Texas. Have lunch on the River Walk, I like Casa Rio. Walk a bit north to the Hyatt, cut through the lobby and you should be looking at the Alamo chapel. To your left there is an excavated section of the original outer wall of the mission. Tour the Alamo and finish in the Menger Hotel bar (right across the street) where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders.

Covers a lot of bases in 5 hours. You get the best restored Spanish mission in the US, a quick trip through Anglo Texas, a better than decent tex-mex lunch, the River Walk, the Alamo and a unique room tied to one of our most dynamic presidents.

Excellent tour, Driftwood and I have to throw one other thing out there as my family and I will be stopping in San Antonio for a couple of days on our way to South Padre in October:

"Odyssey Marine Exploration’s (NasdaqCM: OMEX) multi-media traveling exhibit, SHIPWRECK! Pirates & Treasure, will entertain and educate visitors at the Witte Museum in San Antonio, TX beginning October 1, 2011. The exhibit, which is fully booked through mid 2012, will conclude its current engagement at the G.WIZ- The Science Museum in Sarasota, FL on August 31..."

PRESS RELEASE: Witte Museum in San Antonio, TX to Host Odyssey's SHIPWRECK! Exhibit

This should definitely be worth a visit. :)

Now if I can just figure out out to get 5 more people on the boat with me at South Padre when I go, I might get to dive the Clipper.

You could also see if there are any shows or tours at Lackland. A basic training graduation is one of the most moving things I've ever seen. May even plant the seed for your kids! Let them plan college via the USAF! Best move my son ever made. And second the Alamo and the River Walk. I prefer Dicks Last Resort though for eats. The help insults you, puts dunce caps on your head, and the kids can insult them back! A breath of fresh air in these weenie PC times.

Good thing we have you tourists to keep those places in business.:D

Now, if you want real tex-mex, there are about 100 places way better than the riverwalk fare. Taco-taco on Hildebrand, Taco Haven on south Presa, La Gloria in the pearl brewery complex (not tex-mex, more interior mexican street food), Rosarios on South Alamo, El Mirador on south St Mary's, and many many other little joints on the west side. Plus there's Ruben's tamales on the south side, that's take out only.

Getting back to diving, unfortunately aquarena springs will be closed by then. The comal is okay, I'm not sure what's happening these days in Medina Lake but I imagine it sucks like usual (hehe) and there's always Lake Travis if you don't mind a couple of hours of driving.

I agree that there are tons of places better than Casa Rio for Mexican food in SA. Casa Rio does a decent job and happens to be in the right place for a quick "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium" tour of the highlights of the city.

Back
Top Bottom