Oneida Lake sunken tugboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have exact cooridnates for the Thomas H, found it a few years ago. There are also 2 barges it was pulling withen 100' . My buddy and I are planning to put lines between all 3 so you can go from one to the next to the next and back. PM for the details.
I am actually in search of a sail boat that sank, supposedly still has ther sail deployed. Does anyone have any information at all on this?
thanks

That would be great we are working on getting the Thomas H buoyed, have local Ok just need to get paperwork into Albany. It is surprising that those barges are that close, I know a few people have side scanned that area and the closest barge that they found was about 600' away. Let us know how you make out the vis has been really bad last couple week.

Thanks
Kevin

I have exact cooridnates for the Thomas H, found it a few years ago. There are also 2 barges it was pulling withen 100' . My buddy and I are planning to put lines between all 3 so you can go from one to the next to the next and back. PM for the details.
I am actually in search of a sail boat that sank, supposedly still has ther sail deployed. Does anyone have any information at all on this?
thanks

Kevin,
I'm staying at my camp in cleveland and very interested in diving the Thomas H and the separate barge that you mention in 30 feet. I'm here for the week. I appreciate any help you can give me, especially gps coordinates.
Thanks
Dave

Looking for dive partner/s for sept dives on the Thomas H or other sites in Oneida Lake. We rent small boats out of Anglers Bay near Cleveland. Might rent a bigger pontoon boat if expenses could b shared. You should have ur own gear; we do 1 80cu ft tank diver per trip.

Kozzy,
I am interested. Three barges went down with the Thomas H. The Cleveland barge was not one of them. The intact barge 600 feet NW of the Thomas H I know about and have dived a few times. You say there is another one in the same vicinity? We have side scanned the area and haven't found it. Would love the coordinates of the mystery barge. It must be to the west? I have the article in the Utica Daily News from 31 May 1945 that describes the sequence of events. Thanks in advance. Scot Ioset

Marc......Myself & Luke saw you at the Cleveland Barge site on Saturday and you told us to go to this thread. Would you mind giving us the GPS coordinates to the sunken tugboat that was in ~25ft about 5 miles west of the Cleveland Barge site? Thanks!!

Hamdental,

Could u provide a copy of the article on the Thomas H either in regular mail or post as attachment somehow? I'm still planning a dive on her during the this coming holiday weekend.

Marc J

Marc,
I sent you the article.
Tim

Hamdental,

Could u provide a copy of the article on the Thomas H either in regular mail or post as attachment somehow? I'm still planning a dive on her during the this coming holiday weekend.

Marc J

I fould that sail boat about 3 years ago the sail is still up and the red cooler is out of the cabin now

I would like to clarify info on the Thomas H tugboat. She sank on May 30, 1945 and was found on May 15, 1986 by myself and fellow diver Jim A. The true coordinates are 43 degrees 12.236 North, 75 degrees 51.167 West. One of the barges that went down with her is the Jackie Eagan is located at 43 degrees 12.281 North, 75 degrees 51.282 West and the second barge the Andy is located at 43 degrees 12.200 North, 75 degrees 51.376 West. They are all fairly close to one another, but not close enough to swim to on the bottom you will waste alot of air. Better off dropping on each one so you can enjoy your dive.

Back in 1987 we did pull a permit from New York State Museum in Albany to collect & excavate archeological materials on state lands. All artifacts are on display at the H. Lee White Museum in Oswego, NY, if you wish to
visit and find out her story.

Two scans of the tug and some underwater photos of many taken years ago. The attachment is of the Jackie Eagan and the Andy that sank with
the Thomas H.

thomash.jpgthomashtugboat.jpgpilothouse.jpgpilothouse2.jpgbell.jpgdishes2.jpghorn.jpg

Attachments

• S00370.jpg
    S00370.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 142
  • S00759.jpg
    S00759.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom