current vip but expired hydro- will they still be filled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However I will not fill nitrox on a tank that has an expired visual because of the fact that we partial pressure blend gas at our shop and I view it as a possible safety hazard :no:
What does a visual have to do with being clean? Hint: Nothing

It certainly does when you consider that we O2 clean the tanks when they get VIP'ed at our shop, I also will give them a rinse out with tank wash anytime the valve is removed from the tank :wink:

I would not expect them to fill it beyond the hydrostatic testing date. Hydrostatic testing is a Federal Law and carries a stiff fine if caught. Visual is an industry thing and has no over riding powers.

actually in the strict technical sense of the regulations there is no regulation that prevents anyone from filling an out of hydro tank as long as said tank is not offered for transportation in commerce.

It certainly does when you consider that we O2 clean the tanks when they get VIP'ed at our shop, I also will give them a rinse out with tank wash anytime the valve is removed from the tank :wink:
O2 clean and a visual are not the same thing. But if you want to play the stud tank monkey..go for it.

O2 clean and a visual are not the same thing. But if you want to play the stud tank monkey..go for it.
Very true, especially when you consider the fact that other tank monkey's may not be heading the sticker that says O2 safe air on the tank and the possibility of someone using a personal compressor that is not equipped with the correct filters to produce O2 safe air.

Don't know the national rate but 'round these parts a hydro is $35 and you have your tank back in a day or two. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Figured that out of hydro means the tank should not be filled-regardless of VIP. Just was not sure as do not want to be stuck trying to get a tank filled at the last minute only to have it rejected due to the scenerio. Then having to rent a tank.

FWIW-
I did not personally get the tank VIP'd the last time out. Loaned the tank out to a neighbor for lobster season and it was out of VIP. Neighbor got it VIP'd so he could dive the tank for the week. I told him that if he did both, I'd reimburse him- probably the case that there was just not enough time to get it hydro'd when he went diving. Tank Hyrdro expires in November of 2011, VIP in July 2012.
Got another tank that has a out of hydro for March 2012, but VIP good until July 2012. Not a great difference-for some 5 yrs of use. the other tanks all match up, but they were all done VIP/Hydro last fall 2010

There is a Scubaboard member here who lists tanks for sale who's shop is near where I work. Like the idea of using a SB member (plus his prices are really good). When the hydro expires, I'll get the tank to him to get it ready to go.

Don't know the national rate but 'round these parts a hydro is $35 and you have your tank back in a day or two. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Insurance!!! What insurance? When my tanks are hydroed, I just get a new stamp that indicates that it passed that test on that day. I don't get any insurance. Maybe that is why it only costs $20.

My shop vipped some of my tanks with less than one month left on hydro. I got them filled dozens of times at something like 5 different places over the next 6 months. One day I noticed that the hydro had expired (oops). The very next time I went in for a fill at a new shop they hooked them up to the whip and then gave me the bad news- can't fill because tanks need hydro. I was diving the next day so I had to scramble. I bitched at my LDS vociferously when I got back into town.

So I'd say from my experience you have about a 5 in 6 chance of having the tanks filled by any given tank monkey. Most of them just look at the visual sticker (if they even do that). Someone will refuse to fill your tanks the afternoon before you need them. Avoid the hassle and get the hydro.

MC:
Figured that out of hydro means the tank should not be filled-regardless of VIP. Just was not sure as do not want to be stuck trying to get a tank filled at the last minute only to have it rejected due to the scenerio. Then having to rent a tank.

FWIW-
I did not personally get the tank VIP'd the last time out. Loaned the tank out to a neighbor for lobster season and it was out of VIP. Neighbor got it VIP'd so he could dive the tank for the week. I told him that if he did both, I'd reimburse him- probably the case that there was just not enough time to get it hydro'd when he went diving. Tank Hyrdro expires in November of 2011, VIP in July 2012.
Got another tank that has a out of hydro for March 2012, but VIP good until July 2012. Not a great difference-for some 5 yrs of use. the other tanks all match up, but they were all done VIP/Hydro last fall 2010

There is a Scubaboard member here who lists tanks for sale who's shop is near where I work. Like the idea of using a SB member (plus his prices are really good). When the hydro expires, I'll get the tank to him to get it ready to go.

Seems like you have a handful of tanks, I would suggest you also learn to do the vip yourself. Even if you don't learn "officially" and bypass the shop it is a good idea to know what's going on with your tanks. Monitor the wear if there is any, and avoid possible mistakes from a shop person doing your VIPs on his bad day.
It isn't rocket science to know what to look for and you only need a way to illuminate the inside of the tank. Do they still do the current thing with aluminum bottles? even if that's your case I still would take a look myself, before sending them to the shop for VIP, if I see something weird I make sure to ask before paying, just to see what they tell me.
It may be me... but just like I look inside a cup before pouring my coffee to make sure is clean, I also like to look inside the container that holds the air I will breath.

Back
Top Bottom