Why did YOU take (or plan to take) GUE Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And too bad that GUE still doesn't offer a Wreck Penetration Course . . .(but I'll "stick" what I know to ya Jeffy-poo:mooner: !)

Kane's from California. Also AG wasn't present during Kane's "epiphany" in Florida.

And GUE never offered a wreck penetration course. That was an AG thing while he was with GUE.

Try and keep up.

And too bad that GUE still doesn't offer a Wreck Penetration Course . . .(but I'll "stick" what I know to ya Jeffy-poo:mooner: !)

They do, Cave 1 and Cave 2. :wink: I would bet that neither Casey McKinlay or Errol Kalacyi have an actual Wreck Penetration Certification of any description, but somehow manage the task...

Kane's from California. Also AG wasn't present during Kane's "epiphany" in Florida.

And GUE never offered a wreck penetration course. That was an AG thing while he was with GUE.

Try and keep up.
Kane "emigrated" from New York to Southern California (like you & JeffyG wish you could, eh?) --Andrew Georgitsis (AG) wrote the original GUE Fundamentals Course which both Walker and Kane qualified under and taught during their tenure; and GUE has not yet --despite still hinting about it even to this present date-- been able to offer a bonafide Wreck Class. . .

Get your facts straight darling Brian. . .:blinking:

What do you know?

Although I had early exposure to GUE (both good and bad) and dived fairly often with several GUE-trained divers, I didn't seriously consider a Fundamentals class until I was a NAUI DM, considering instructor training. Then, my friend Laurynn (seaingreen here on SB) called asking me if I'd like to accompany her on a video shoot she was doing for a local TV station. She was doing some footage for a documentary on shellfish farming in Hood Canal. We were at this mussel farm and she disappeared inside this grid of mussel beds with her video camera. A moment later she comes out ... fins first ... shooting as she was backing out. Watching her back out of there made me think to myself "I want me some of that". On the way home we talked about how much I wanted to learn the reverse kick and she suggested signing up for Fundies. A month later, I did.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Although I had early exposure to GUE (both good and bad) and dived fairly often with several GUE-trained divers, I didn't seriously consider a Fundamentals class until I was a NAUI DM, considering instructor training. Then, my friend Laurynn (seaingreen here on SB) called asking me if I'd like to accompany her on a video shoot she was doing for a local TV station. She was doing some footage for a documentary on shellfish farming in Hood Canal. We were at this mussel farm and she disappeared inside this grid of mussel beds with her video camera. A moment later she comes out ... fins first ... shooting as she was backing out. Watching her back out of there made me think to myself "I want me some of that". On the way home we talked about how much I wanted to learn the reverse kick and she suggested signing up for Fundies. A month later, I did.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Although I'd long since planned to take the class, watching my (soon-to-be) Fundies instructor back kick his way down the pool in front of me while I swam forwards during a GUE demo day had a similar effect on me. Indeed, I told him at the start of class that even if I got nothing else out of it beyond a back kick, I'd be satisfied. Sadly, my back kick remains intermittent (it works for a few kicks, then disappears, reappearing at random intervals), but I still got my money's worth from the class.

Guy

What do you know?
Cycles of success, sometimes leading to hubris and mistakes with lessons learned (and shared in this Board), resulting in wisdom gained. That's my experience and what I took from GUE's Fundamentals of Better Diving with both Instructors John Walker and Michael Kane.

"Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live. . ."
-Robert Kennedy

I decided to take fundies due to a personal appreciation of highly structured, detailed training. I've always liked technical information (not just dive-related) and figured the depth (no pun) that fundies offered would suit my desires. It did and I was very happy with the class taught by Bob Sherwood and Errol Kalayci.

It also went beyond learning additional dive skills and felt like I was really part of a team. I've never felt better after a dive than when we all helped each other during the final check dive, working as a cohesive unit, and kept each other from messing things up.

And I met two dive buddies that like to dive as often as I do in my area. That actually was arguably the most beneficial part of the course...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom