First night dive, Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did my first night dives last night at Breakwater. First one along the wall, where I came across several rainbow nudibranch, which I had never seen in person before. Second was out to the rocks off to the left of the beach entrance, which ended up turning into a take-as-many-photos-of-tiny-red-octopus-as-I-can dive. Since I got my dive cert in January and up to this point, I had only seen one octopus and only for a few seconds in 40 dives. I thoroughly enjoyed these dives and will be looking to do more as soon as I can. Which makes me ask for anyone interested to let me know along with availability.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 64
I can't go with you because I'm currently living in the Puget Sound area, but when I lived in the Monterey area I loved doing night dives at the Breakwater. That was where I found the only actual shark I've ever seen; my buddies and I came upon a 3 foot swell shark just sitting there on the rocks, apparently sleeping. That place is great during the day, but just amazing at night. Congratulations on the cool finds, and hope you have many more!
What kind of flatfish is that????

My guess is that it's a halibut.

Based on what I can gather, the easy way to identify halibut from other flatfishes is by looking at the lateral line and the caudal fin. The lateral line has a very high arch over the pectoral fin and the caudal fin has an upper and lower indentation. I can't see the lateral line in the picture so I'm calling it based on the dorsal and ventral fins.

I can't go with you because I'm currently living in the Puget Sound area, but when I lived in the Monterey area I loved doing night dives at the Breakwater. That was where I found the only actual shark I've ever seen; my buddies and I came upon a 3 foot swell shark just sitting there on the rocks, apparently sleeping. That place is great during the day, but just amazing at night. Congratulations on the cool finds, and hope you have many more!

My ability to ID flatfish is limited, but the most common ones you see at BW are sanddabs. I don't know how big the one in the picture is, but Speckled Sanddabs are on the small side, just over 7" max. I'd vote for a Speckled rather than Pacific Sanddab:

Flatfish Species Index

Guy

I've yet to see a shark while diving, and I'm not sure what kind of flatfish that was, only that it was around 6 inches long and not the same as the small ones you usually see in the sand here.

Hey! I'm around for night (or am) dives thurs, fri or sat. PM me.

I'd love to check out Lover's, too.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom