brief Copper Roof report 8/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Waist high surf was a bit ruff but manageable at the far end of the beach closest to the copper roof house. Kelp very thick so only went out about 50 yards along it's edge before descending to 20fsw and maybe 5ft viz. Navigated NW under dark thick canopy and thru and over fields of palm kelp wtih thick clouds of tiny shimp and schools of tubesnouts. Was accompanied by a mostly black harbor seal much of the way and rather than just sneak behind me, this one chose to pull along side and ahead sometimes stopping to let me catch-up and had a few face to face dirtect eye-contact encounters. You can't help but think some sort of understanding is reached between us in those eye to eye moments. Anyway, palm kelp faded away with depth, viz opened up to about 15ft and hit some nice rock formations around 40fsw that had quite a few fish about them. An assortment of good sized rockfish including a pair of vermillion, a couple greenling, some big blues cruising the top of the rocks and big striped perch. Saw a nice cabezon on the way back. Was looking hard for halibut or bat rays in the sandy patches but saw none. 59min dive time

Waist high surf was a bit ruff but manageable at the far end of the beach closest to the copper roof house. Kelp very thick so only went out about 50 yards along it's edge before descending to 20fsw and maybe 5ft viz. Navigated NW under dark thick canopy and thru and over fields of palm kelp wtih thick clouds of tiny shimp and schools of tubesnouts. Was accompanied by a mostly black harbor seal much of the way and rather than just sneak behind me, this one chose to pull along side and ahead sometimes stopping to let me catch-up and had a few face to face dirtect eye-contact encounters. You can't help but think some sort of understanding is reached between us in those eye to eye moments. Anyway, palm kelp faded away with depth, viz opened up to about 15ft and hit some nice rock formations around 40fsw that had quite a few fish about them. An assortment of good sized rockfish including a pair of vermillion, a couple greenling, some big blues cruising the top of the rocks and big striped perch. Saw a nice cabezon on the way back. Was looking hard for halibut or bat rays in the sandy patches but saw none. 59min dive time

You're dive sounds virtually identical to one we did there a couple of weeks ago, other than the surf - viz, life, and I'm guessing the same harbor seal - same color and behavior anyway.

Yahoo! Groups

It was an unexpectedly nice dive, considering the initial vis.

Guy

Hi guy,

yes I had read your report and it inspired me to try copper roof. I had scoped it out a number of times prior but it always appeared too shallow with more swell exposure than neighboring sites so I had passed on it until now.

glad I went, and thanks for your initial report!

Hi guy,

yes I had read your report and it inspired me to try copper roof. I had scoped it out a number of times prior but it always appeared too shallow with more swell exposure than neighboring sites so I had passed on it until now.

glad I went, and thanks for your initial report!

I'm glad someone got something useful out of it:D. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more shore diving (or at least more reports) between Monastery and say Pt. Joe. I've still never dived Stillwater cove, so need to give that a try one of these days. I don't know what the entry fee for Pebble Beach is now, but it's probably not much more than Parking at BW for the day.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom