A horrific finding but thank goodness they were caught

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me that people can look themselves in a mirror after committing such an act!

I'm new to diving but not to the water. This sh&% is out of hand. Makes you want to raise sharks yourself at home and repopulate the planet 1 at a time.

Very little to be unhappy about. This was only a 357/100,000,000 of all sharks killed each year. If these guys make more than one journey, its believable that they'd kill well over 15,000 more sharks in their lifetime. I prefer to think of the sharks that were saved. I also like to think of this as evidence that those opposed to shark finning aren't taking it easy. Shark finning got banned in several countries in the last few weeks according to this forum. This story gives me hope that shark's 400 million year history won't end in my lifetime, at least not as long as we stay on their side.

Porkfried,

I hope your optimism is not misplaced. Demand for shark fun soup in China and elsewhere in Asia is only rising. As long as this demand continues, the market will be there - irrespective of laws or penalties (although I do applaud anywhere that has outlawed the practice). Although making it illegal may at least increase the price, which may help a little.

It's such a shame though, the short sightedness of the human race. Personally I don't blame the fishermen. They're just trying to make a living. But a shame that we can't create a system where a living shark is worth more than a dead one. Incidentally, they're trying to promote exactly such an equation in the Maldives. I wish them luck. They've decimated their shark stocks in the last 30 years, will be interesting to see whether they can reverse this.

John

Porkfried,

I hope your optimism is not misplaced. Demand for shark fun soup in China and elsewhere in Asia is only rising. As long as this demand continues, the market will be there - irrespective of laws or penalties (although I do applaud anywhere that has outlawed the practice). Although making it illegal may at least increase the price, which may help a little.

It's such a shame though, the short sightedness of the human race. Personally I don't blame the fishermen. They're just trying to make a living. But a shame that we can't create a system where a living shark is worth more than a dead one. Incidentally, they're trying to promote exactly such an equation in the Maldives. I wish them luck. They've decimated their shark stocks in the last 30 years, will be interesting to see whether they can reverse this.

John

Personally I don't blame the fishermen. They're just trying to make a living.

I really have to disagree with that statement. Yes they were trying to make a living, but so is a bank robber or burglar. What those have in common is that they are trying to get a bigger score for less effort. They could be legal fishermen and make less. I also don't feel sorry for the pirates in the middle east, or my local gang bangers (it's their parents' fault you know!) Lots of people have it rough in this world and still mange to live a life of being good.

Lots of people have it rough in this world and still mange to live a life of being good.

And lots of people have it easy in life and manage to live a life of questionable ethics (not a counter to your statement).

The practice of shark finning is horrendous. The poaching that goes on in marine protected areas is too. Combining the two is egregious.

How do we fight this? Education, education, education... and serious fines and jail time for those violating any laws.

Sharks survived the massive changes that wiped out the dinosaurs. I think they'll out live us too. If someone wants shark fin soup they should have go catch the shark themsleves.....with a knife.

Back
Top Bottom