Horrible Customer Service Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that this is sort of taking a turn toward repairing vs. replacing, I have a question for those that are advocating repairing a damaged bladder.

You send your damaged wing to Tobin, and he tells you that it's only $50 for a new bladder. That's pretty cheap in my opinion considering that the wing cost over $325 new.

But you want it repaired for whatever reason instead.
What would the reason be? It could only be to save money. Why else would you want to repair it instead of getting a new bladder?

Anyway, let's just say that Tobin agrees to repair it for you................because you insist.......and he wants to make you happy. :wink:

My question is this: How much do you think he should be charging for this repair? $35? $40?

I'm guessing that some of those that are proponents of the manufacturer repairing your damaged are thinking that the cost or a repair should be cheaper. Probably thinking around $15 or $20...................Nobody works for that cheap, what would you imagine the shop rate should be?

Steps would include: disassembly, surface prep, conduct repair, cure time, test/inspect repair, reassembly, test again to ensure there were no other damages, clean up the consumables and hazmat. How long do you think this would take?
Probably longer that just replacement of the bladder.
But the perception is that a repair should somehow be cheaper than replacement. The reality is that many time a replacement is just more cost effective.

IMO, if you are thinking that a repair is going to save you $15 or $20, you might be mistaken.

I'd rather just pay the $50 and know that I had a new bladder.

-Mitch

While $$ may be a factor in some cases, it need not be the driving factor. I am thinking more in terms of convenience and turn around time rather than cost. Then there are other cases like bladderless wings and bladdered wings from sources who see repairs as another profit making opportunity (definitely not Tobin on that one).

I think a repair on a trip is one consideration, but I would rather have the bladder replaced. Once upon a time, we all had bladders in the BC's and repairs were done by the owners but shops replaced them. It would really suck to be at 100' sitting on a beautiful wall with a stream of bubbles coming from your BC because the glue on the patch gave way. Sure it's not the end of the world, but takes a little bit of the moment away.

$50 bucks is nothing, I spend that constantly with the click of the mouse.:no:

LOL.
I read the entire thread. What the f is all this voodoo BS about repairing/replacing/patching an "inner tube". This ain't rocket science.

What a thread. :shakehead:

But you want it repaired for whatever reason instead.
What would the reason be?

If it happened in the middle of a dive trip, which of course is a likely time for a leak to happen, wouldn't it be nice to be able to just patch it up yourself and dive with it the next day? How about a discontinued model, like the dive rite bladder I wanted to patch in Roatan? Personally, I think they ought to be sold with patch kits, like many other inflatable devices. I can understand the manufacturer preferring to replace a bladder rather than patch it, but what I don't get is the resistance to owners patching them. That's what dive rite's attitude was, not Tobin's to my knowledge.

I agree, halocline.

My stuff would have to be beyond the typical DIY damage before I ever sent anything in. I can fix most things I own.
patching a hole is easy enough, but if I were to send it in I would expect to be paying at least a shop rate plus materials.
I've patched up enough Klepper kayak hull damage, a wing wouldn't be a problem.

This thread sort of became about.........hell, I don't know what it's about anymore.:confused::rofl3:

Still trying to get my head around this thing. I got a flat tire. Send it "in"? I don't think so. Plug it/patch it.

WTF? 157 posts!!! Give me a freakin' break.

OK. Here is what I see. OP should have checked out his wing when he received it.Tobin: you and your "pinch flat" speal..I am so over that. Never experienced one and never seen one.

I treat my wings/plates same as I do my kid's Bella. Which is to say the same as any op or luggage handler would. If the inner bladder does have a leak, I would fix the damned thing.

WTF? 157 posts!!! Give me a freakin' break.

OK. Here is what I see. OP should have checked out his wing when he received it.Tobin: you and your "pinch flat" speal..I am so over that. Never experienced one and never seen one.

I've never hit a Jackpot in Vegas, but know they happen with some regularity. :wink:

Most divers never experience a pinch flat, but that hardly means they never happen. Wings are pretty tough, but they can be damaged.

Several others have noted exactly that method of failure in this very thread on a variety of makes of wings.

Pinch flats are the single leading cause of bladder failure *by far* that wings experience.

Bladders very seldom suffer seam or other welding failures, a few might but it is very uncommon. Bladders are almost never penetrated by sharp objects, the outer shells are far to tough.

That leaves impact (pinch) failures. Given that every reputable wing maker sells replacement bladders something is causing failures. If not pinches then what would your answer be?

Tobin

This thread should have never passed the first page. As a business owner in the USA (as other countries have different ethics) I believe DSS should have stated something to the effect of "We do not believe the damages were from the factory and will be in contact with the customer to resolve the situation." I know how frustrating it can be because it is impossible to please everyone. But business' no matter how much we hate it must act professional at all times especially in front of the public. Acknowledge the fact you have an unhappy customer and resolve the issue in private.

This thread should have never passed the first page. As a business owner in the USA (as other countries have different ethics) I believe DSS should have stated something to the effect of "We do not believe the damages were from the factory and will be in contact with the customer to resolve the situation." I know how frustrating it can be because it is impossible to please everyone. But business' no matter how much we hate it must act professional at all times especially in front of the public. Acknowledge the fact you have an unhappy customer and resolve the issue in private.

We of course attempted to resolve the matter privately. It was the OP who choose to "go public"

I've stated this several times already, but once again;

Throwing free parts at the problem would do nothing to solve it if the user is still convinced he is doing nothing wrong.

Th easiest short term solution would be to provide repairs and replacement parts free of charge, but that is almost certainly to lead to future problems for the customer.

True customer service IMO is actually solving the problem long term, so the customer is not repeatedly without operable gear.

All wings are subject to damage if mishandled, this thread alone has seen multiple divers report multiple similar problems with wings from multiple manufacturers.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Handing out free bladders over and over with no change in how they are being used is insanity.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom