A Close Call (from jsonline)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of us had any of our gear on and our tanks with bcds/wings were still strapped down. Fortunately, those wearing drysuits were closed and provided good buoyancy not to mention the divers in 7mm wetsuits being able to float. At the surface the lake temperature is in the 70s and it was a sunny day. The important thing is none of us were hurt.

None of us had any of our gear on and our tanks with bcds/wings were still strapped down. Fortunately, those wearing drysuits were closed and provided good buoyancy not to mention the divers in 7mm wetsuits being able to float. At the surface the lake temperature is in the 70s and it was a sunny day. The important thing is none of us were hurt.

Yes it must of been a terriible experience and that nobody was hurt in anyway is good news.Hope you are all warm tonight and having a couple of beers :D and not been put off diving :D

This is my dive club and so I know most of the people that were on the boat. So glad the situation wasn't worse than it was. I think there will be several lessons to be learned from this.

I'm glad to hear that you were all ok. That is the kind of experience no for which no one wishes. I hope you will be able to recover most of your lost gear.

I had a group from St. Louis out on my boat (a 40 ft steel trawler) Saturday morning diving SS Wisconsin off of Kenosha. That is a few miles south of where this excitement took place. The wind and waves were from the north but there was a current running in the opposite direction. I was annoyed because I had to pull in my trail line. It kept drifting with the current and getting caught under the boat.

On the way out to the dive site in the morning we had only one foot waves, but as the wind increased through the morning hours, so did the size of the waves. By 10:30 o'clock or so there were what I estimated to be two to four foot waves. Even with the rigid, open sided, center-post ladder on Enterprise, some of the divers were having trouble getting back on the boat while wearing doubles. With no sign that the weather was going to do anything but get worse, we cut the day's diving short and returned to Waukegan.

Dean,
I am glad your safe! and your club members too!
as for being way out of Milwaukee it could become much worse!
dive safe,
maybe see you up our way sometime under better coditions!
Brad
This is my dive club and so I know most of the people that were on the boat. So glad the situation wasn't worse than it was. I think there will be several lessons to be learned from this.

Dean,
I am glad your safe! and your club members too!
as for being way out of Milwaukee it could become much worse!
dive safe,
maybe see you up our way sometime under better coditions!
Brad

Hi Brad!

I was late to sign up for this charter, so I was on the "wait" list. I didn't have this "experience" so still have my dive gear. I just hope my friends on this trip get some of theirs back.

-Dean

I talked to someone who knows the capt and he said that 99.9% of the gear was recovered. I would think since it's dive gear, being in the water shouldn't hurt anything.

About half of us will be getting what was recovered of our gear back tonight. We'll see what the actual condition is then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom