Home Owners Association - Going Ballistic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my suggestion, attach a Dive Alert or other noisemaker to your BC. Go over to the complainers house one evening and start draining your tanks down out side her house via the dive alert. I dont see how she can complain, you are just complying to empty them, and by doing it at her house, you are just showing to her that you are following her request.

i'm pretty certain this doesn't affect the industry as a whole, but the president of the home owners association where i live is throwing quite a fit over my cylinders. i just got a letter stating "cans of compressed air" are precluded in the complex's deed restrictions. i guess is she considers them HAZMAT. i don't think an objective assesment of risk is in her repertoire, and i'm pretty sure she can't do anything about it (except send letters): but i'm curious if other on this forum have experienced similar paranoia from your neighbors who might worry your AL80 is a "bomd[sic] waiting to go off?" and how you dealt with the situation? thanks.

Ohhhh my Buddha!
The things some people do to legitimize their existences!
Start playing Arabic style music, the prodigies "smack my bitch up" is perfect for this! loudly while she's at home....hopefully she have a skitziod embolism and go neck herself!
You could dress up like Keith Flint that'll freek her out(it would be nice to have a USA flag dry suit like Keith's straight jacket!).
YouTube - ‪Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up‬‏
:crafty:

I got a chuckle out of some of the comments regarding HOA's. Yes there are a holes on boards. The boards job is to make sure the common areas are taken care of and insuring compliance with the covenants of rules governing the community. In the case of where I live, those rules were written by the developer in accordence to the Master Associations rules. Community members had no say in the matter. They did have a choice and that was agree with the rules or don't live here. They signed a statement agreeing to the rules. I have no idea if the community the OP lives in is exceeding their authority or not. My point for those of you who say they would do this or that, make sure you don't go lax on paying your dues or assessments, as some states allow HOAs to foreclose on properties for nonpayment.
Craig

I'll never live in an building with an HOA. I rent now, pretty much forced to. But the thing for me is not the rules that I would be required to follow when I sign the mortgage, but also any NEW rules the HOA decides to pass and then enforce. People in general are selfish, they don't really care about something unless it directly affects them (hence some REALLY stupid laws on the books).

Also, to the poster about reloading equipment, need to know that modern gun powder is smokeless and burns, it does NOT explode when lit with a match (friend showed me the difference between smokeless powder and black-powder at the range one day). A propane tank is more dangerous than a can of smokeless powder.

Hope the OP gets this resolved in his favor.

Did the OP ever see this threw whats the status. I honestly think your biggiest defense is your right of quite enjoyment. Its all a matter of if your willing to take it to court or not.

file a lawsuit for all the over inflated tires in the neighborhood. over inflated tires cause more deaths that cylinders do...!!!

I guess I'm lucky . . . I have scuba, nitrogen, argon, oxygen, CO2, and acetylene cylinders in my garage . . . . no cars though! Since they are only bitching about "compressed air" step it up and get a couple hundred cu-ft of acetylene!

- Tim

If the rules prohibit storing dangerous items, as long as your tanks are VIPed annually, and hydroed when expected

Technically (I mean legally), only entites engaging in commercial transport of compressed gas cylinders are required to have hydrostatic tests performed on the cylinders they use.

Privately owned cylinders are not subject to DOT rules. The only reason the scuba industry requires these tests is for self policiing of our industry. And before anybody goes ballistic, I do believe we should be testing our cylinders. But as far as legallities go with an HOA...they won't be able to "legally" use this as an argument.

Last edited:
I would say they have no legal grounds to stop her but thats just my assumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom