Parotid inflammation after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About two weeks ago I did a couple of recreational saltwater dives which were uneventful, save for having to make one forceful underwater cough during the second dive. I had the typical dive-related dry mouth, but have not had dry mouth since. About 24 hours after diving, while eating, I started to have swelling and minor pain in my left parotid salivary gland. It essentially resolved after 48 hours.

Since yesterday it's started up again, but this time worsens every time I eat, then gradually subsides somewhat until I eat again. I've also had a slightly funny taste in my mouth when I eat, and the submandibular lymph node may be enlarged. The pain is somewhat worse but not to the point that I feel the need to take anything for it, though I did take an NSAID for the antiinflammatory effect. I also have a very mild fever today but feel fine otherwise.

So I'm thinking I've got an infected salivary gland or inflammation secondary to stones or something. I'm definitely going to get checked out. So here's my question, which really I'm just asking out of medical curiosity (I am a veterinarian). Can you think of some mechanism related to diving that might make a salivary gland more predisposed to inflammation? Have you ever heard about similar cases?

Thanks,
Lilla

I can't think of anything related to diving that would do it. But salivary stones are known, and you can get viral infections of the salivary glands as well (mumps is the classic one, but there are others). I would definitely see a physician, though, especially with the submandibular gland involvement. Bacterial infection there can be quite a bad thing.

Pain and swelling over the parotid gland (and submandibular gland) that comes with eating certainly does suggest salivary inflammation (sialadenitis). I agree with TSandM, that this isn't typically a diving problem, although dehydration can definitely bring on episodes as the saliva thickens and sludges in the ducts... Treatment of parotitis usually involves aggressive hydration, antibiotics and sialogogues (e.g. sour candy).

See a doc, and maybe ask about getting a sonogram/CT to look for a stone or other mass.

Mike

Thanks, guy. I'll definitely be seeing a physician.

LOL, I should get my titer checked.

Same thing just happened to me! Did yours resolve on its' own or did you end up having a stone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom