First Impression - H Evolve 40 vs Oxycheq Mach V 30 dry comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So in the quest of setting up my first double tank setup, I finally obtained a Halcyon 40lb Evolve ring. Before that, I struggled between a few popular double wings, namely Oxycheq Vertex Signature and DSS T49. I have been using Oxycheq single wing for 2 years. I have been happy. It is very streamline and very solidly build. I have no problem going with Oxycheq double wing especially considered the price, $288 new, well below $200 good condition used. I also some experience with DSS single wing, brief and positive overall. In fact, I consulted Tobin for his advice on lift and only one click away from ordering T49.

Finally two things steered me toward Halcyon. One, local DIR divers recommendations. 9 out of 10, including tec divers & instructors, either using Halcyon wings or used something else before and switched to Halcyon and recommanded it. Two, I came across a very good deal on the Evolve. So last night, I got bored. I lay down the Evolve & Mach V side by side and examine. And I just want to share my impression:

1. First big impression is how soft the H is. It came folded into about the size of 17"x11" envolop. On the contrary, the Mach V material is very hard. There is no way to fold it down to the same ratio.

2. The sewing patterns. H wing is like two oval shape fabric sewed together. When deflate the bladder, it is flat. Mach V is put together more in a 3D fashion. With its harder material, even if bladder is fully deflated, it retains it shape.

3. Zipper to access to the bladder. Mach V has a thicker tougher zipper than the Evolve. I like how Oxycheq also a piece of cave line on the zipper's pull so user can easily unzip for cleaning. H left this out, and with smaller zipper, I have to fish out the zipper pull through the smaller access between the zipper overlap. I put a cave line on the pull tag afterward. I know this is small detail, but I thought the H is good at "attention to detail".

4. Outter shell material. Both are some kind of denison nylon. Mach V is thicker. Inside is coated the some shine water proof coating. Nothing special on the Evolve. It is not to say the H is not tough, but I have no doubt that under extreme condition, MachV outter shell will stand abrasion and puncher better.

5. Bladder Material. Oxycheq's is all polyurethane while the H is fabric with polyurethane coated on the inside. Both RF welding seems to be good quality. Oxycheq's bladder material is noticeably thicker than the H, by maybe 2x based on the feel of my finger.

6. Bladder shape. Oxycheq's bladder is way bigger than the outter shell. It is folded on all 4 edges inside the shell. My question is if air can be trapped in the folded section and make it difficult to vent. H's bladder is the same shape and size of the outter shell. This is probably the prerfered design method of bladder.

7. Corrogated hose, elbow, dump value. Oxycheq's corrogated hose is NOT corrogatable at all. Elbow and dump value on the H seem to have higher quality.

Based on this dry observation, I don't see too much advantage of H given its official substatially high price. In fact, I will say Oxycheq offers more quality in terms of construction and material used. But again, nothing matter if in water performance is not good. I will only be able to put dive with the Evolve to the test until a few weeks later. I will happy to report back my finding.
IMG_0683.jpg

Interesting. I just purchased an Oxycheq mach v 30lbs wing, was also looking at halcyon but $800 for the rig compared to $400 for the total rig I paid for I just couldn't justify it. Looking forward to diving it in a week so its good to hear you like your oxycheq!

I used an Evolve #40, and before that had 2 Eclipse. Lovely pieces of kit, but the design that Eelnora mentions is one of the big drawbacks IMHO. Sewing two 'halves' of the wing, leaves am exposed seam along the outer circumference of the bladder - right where the wing is going to rub and abrade when operating in confined spaces. Both of the Eclipse got shredded seams/worn stitching because of this.

I like the fact that the Oxycheq don't have a seam there - that does a lot for preserving their lifespan. I'm waiting for this to happen on the Evolve also...

On the other hand, the Evolve does fold down very well - it's great for packing/travelling.

6. Bladder shape. Oxycheq's bladder is way bigger than the outter shell. It is folded on all 4 edges inside the shell. My question is if air can be trapped in the folded section and make it difficult to vent. H's bladder is the same shape and size of the outter shell. This is probably the prerfered design method of bladder.

I have an Oxygen Signature 40 doubles wing and that is the only thing that I don't like about it. Sometimes it does trap air, or it's slower to vent.
Other than that, it's a well built wing.

Thanks for the comparison.

-Mitch

I'd be very interested to see the Mach V inner bladder. If you have the time, please post a picture of the Mach V with inner bladder taken out as much as possible without undoing the valve connections and inflated so that we can see how it looks next to (partly out of) the outer shell.

7. Corrogated hose, elbow, dump value. Oxycheq's corrogated hose is NOT corrogatable at all. Elbow and dump value on the H seem to have higher quality.

I prefer the Halycon type corrugated hoses as well because they are more flexible and elastic, but Patrick (Oxycheq) says they are weaker and trap water more easily, which is also true.

Nice comparison...thanks! Some reactions:

Zipper--you shouldn't need to get inside with any degree of frequency, so low-profile/hidden, which is to say well out of the way with no dangling cave line, is arguably better. Too thick/rugged a zipper does not compress well and can even break more easily under bending stress. Also, a thicker/more rugged zipper can, under certain stresses or strains, create a pinch puncture on the inner bladder that a very fine zipper might be less likely to produce. Keep in mind that for some of the above reasons, DSS makes some wings with no zipper at all (you send the wing back for repair should a puncture occur).

One impressive aspect of the Halcyon wings is that they are extremely light, extremely foldable/packable, and rugged. This is due to choosing the right nylon and coating it well for added durability. It is also due to their choice of going with a nylon inner bladder over the polyu one.

I dove a Halcyon 40# Eclipse for years. I left it below deck on a Chinese junk in the S. China Sea between dives for over a year, rinsing it only with a quick swish in a barrel of sometimes salty fresh water. I never had a single problem with the wing. After a couple hundred dives, it looked fine. It did have some minor fraying along the bottom seam, but this happened very soon after I got the wing--I got used to it and it never got worse or amounted to anything (I contacted Halcyon about it; they told me it shouldn't amount to anything, but to send the wing back if it gets worse, but it never did; incidentally, if memory serves, my 40# Eclipse had the so-called 3-D cut, but it still easily flattened).

I've never dove an Oxy. I've seen many, though, and they certainly are rugged looking and feeling. But they are not as light and sleek as the Halcyon; they are cut every bit as trim, if not trimmer, but they retain a bulky feel, perhaps because of the super rugged/course outer shell and the oversized and super thick polyu inner bladder. Functionally, I wonder how efficiently they vent air, at least compared to the Halcyon? The two-halved design of the Halcyon means that it pancakes flat when empty, so it doesn't typically trap air. The 3-D cut of the Oxy, plus the thick and oversized bladder, mean that the wing doesn't flatten easily. Maybe this allows the air to flow through the bladder more efficiently? Maybe the folds of the oversized inner bladder trap air? I don't know.

Underwater, the Halcyon becomes almost like fluttering tissue paper when deflated. I'm going to guess that the Oxy would be stiffer, but with an even lower profile than the Halcyon. Which creates less drag I don't know. Fluttering tissue paper does create drag when swimming, and I felt it, but the 40# Halcyon wing was also too big given I was diving only AL80's.

Just some food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom