Why are so many female divers codependent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look how happy my dive buddy was to help me change my gear out today!! I'm a lucky gal!!

11.jpg

someone just said "Say PENGUINS!!"

someone just said "Say PENGUINS!!"

More like....."I'll give you chocolate!!"

My daughter (14years old) and I are taking lessons - will be OW certified this month. My husband is an old Navy guy and has zero interest in scuba. He will come on trips occasionally, and probably help us haul tanks, 'cause he's courteous that way. I have been amazed at the number of women that are taking classes because of a husband, boyfriend or fiance. And very happy to see the young women taking the class because the want to. I will always assemble and check my own gear, and insist that my daughter do the same.

One of the reasons we have been happily married for 33 years is because we know our roles.
If I had to I could assemble my own gear. But he wants to. so I guess I would fall into that codependent wife diver category.

I don't think it is a culture thing , or because women are not mechanical. I think it is because that is how GOD wired men.

A major problem today is that some people have listened to too many "experts" and they are no longer in tune to the role God intended.

My boyfriend has been diving for over 5 years, where as I have only been diving for 1 year and I am not the least bit dependent.
I actually have more gear than him, and know more about the quirks, but diving has become my obsession, where as it's just a hobby to him.

I do have him carry my tanks for me 50% of the time. But that's just because he's a big strong giant and I'm tiny.

My husband and I are very much equals. I have even been known to haul his tanks and set up his gear when he is slow and he will do the same for me. I am probably more likely to lead our dives because I am the more confident swimmer.

I don't think it is a culture thing , or because women are not mechanical. I think it is because that is how GOD wired men.

A major problem today is that some people have listened to too many "experts" and they are no longer in tune to the role God intended.

Really? Well, I'm glad that arrangement has worked for you for 33 years. It wouldn't work for me for five minutes. We're all different, I guess.

I sling my GF's tank, and when she is rigged if its a shore spot i offer to carry her rig but she carrys her own anyways. I do it to be a gentleman, I help her rig up if she is taking too long, but she knows my gear where im confident that all i have to do is tell her my weight for the day if i happen to be taking too long.

Back
Top Bottom