Eating underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having tried this but I think Gogurt would be pretty clean. Although that first initial slurp might make you gag a bit I would imagine......

Muffins - not.

Protein energy bar -- okay.

You can eat lots of things under water. The trick is to eat it quickly. You can do stuff like stir fry or chicken salad... Keep food in a small plastic bag open into your mouth and suck it out of the bag. Granola bars or other food in bar form works pretty well too.

I once saw a group of divers complete their dive day by each drinking a bottle of beer under water. I don't endorse the practice, but drinking from a bottle can be done with only a minimum of contamination. You put your thumb over the end, put it in your mouth, pull your thumb away, drink, and put your thumb back.

I was told that the trick to drinking from a glass bottle is to blow air into it. This causes the liquid to shoot out, otherwise you have a vacuum.

I would stay away from peanut butter Snickers. According to the commercials sharks really prefer people who eat those.
That's a myth. They don't like the way they stick to the roofs of their mouths.

Soup is tricky.
Actually, as long as you pack it in a zipper bag or vacuum pack, it's not bad. I'd recommend soups that taste decent at water temperature. Pureed soups or risotto-like soups work well, but chicken-noodle-style may not flow as well -- the solids can separate from the liquids (which would only impact the textural presentation, and shaking may keep the soup mixed well enough). I may have to try some miso soup on my next trip.

You know, when you're coming up from a long near-freezing quarry dive, having a nice refreshing gazpacho for your sweltering deco could be nice. 42°F on the bottom would make for a good serving temperature, 75-85°F above the thermocline would make for a great time to chow down.

Regardless of what you eat underwater, if the seas are up, be sure to chew well. Large chunks are harder to flush through your reg when fish-feeding. :biggrin:

Hydration Pack.jpg

I found that on multiple hour cave dives that hydration was becoming an issue, as was basic energy. So, I've been using the "Hammer" products. I take the concentrated "gel" pack before entering the water (80 calories, 21g carbs, etc.), and 2 hours later drink 1/2 liter of the Hammer Perpetuem (1 L = 260 cals, 54g carbs, etc.), and the rest 2 hours later.

This is the basic stuff runners, bikers, etc., use during races, etc. You can use other brands, as well. Hammer is low in sugar so no nasty sugar spikes later on, like you get with Gatorade, etc.

I mention all of this because this is "liquid" food. Easy to drink under water (choking is a big concern, for me).

It's overkill for short dives, but thought you might like to see.

Back
Top Bottom