Requirements for Dive Charter boats and operators in BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tahunga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can anyone out there tell me what kind of legal requirements we have in BC for Dive Charter boats and their operators. I contacted the Canadian Coast Guard and was told that they only worry about the boat and the safety equipment it needs to carry, all of which is based on the number of people on board, regardless of the actual purpose of the ride (e.g. whale watching, diving, dinner cruise .... they are all the same as far as the Coast Guard is concerned). I then called the DOT. They were not much more help. They certify the boats based on size.

If there is indeed no specific requirement for Dive Charters (I am thinking of such things as Oxygen, certified DM on board, and such things) I would appreciate to know what we would consider "best practice" by current operators of Dive Charters.

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

Happy bubbles ....

You could check with PADI or one of the other agencies, they would likely have some opinion on how much oxygen one should have on board.

Also don't forget rinse tanks for cameras/computers etc - not safety gear but still useful on a dive boat.

Insurance is another huge one, wouldn't want to be taking customers out on your boat without the appropriate insurance.

There are NO requirements specific to taking divers out as boat passengers.

There are some charter operators who specifically DO NOT provide any in water supervision or assistance, such as DM's, specifically to insulate them from any liability. In this type of charter, they only accept responsibility as a water taxi driver providing a safe ride to and from the dive site.

When there are DM's or instructors provided, a duty of care no different than any other guided or supervised dive excursion is owed to the guests. In that case the individual dive pro is responsible look after the guest as per their training, and must also carry pro insurance. The boat operator would thus also be responsible for the actions of the staff they provide and thus well advised to carry proper insurance as we live in a litigious world.

The equipment for both types of charter is not regulated or mandated beyond what the vessel is required to carry as standard safety equipment. If any operator chooses to provide any more extensive equipment, that is their prerogative. By providing in water staff, AED, O2, satellite communication, freshwater rinse tanks or any other "above and beyond", an operator can provide increased value to their clientèle.

Most shore based operations are within emergency response by the coastguard and /or BC (air) ambulance helicopters, and as such most of the extras are nice reassurances, but not nearly as earth shatteringly crucial or beneficial as they might be elsewhere.

Best practices really boil down to what do you want on a charter... and what extras are you are willing to pay for.

Cheers

As long as the boat is 25' or less and under 5 tonnes. You need a SVOP, MED A2, Marine first aid and a Commercial radio license. You also need insurance which really eats up your profits as it is not cheap. There are no rules in regards to equipment other than safety but oxygen is cheap to have on board and if your taking divers out you should have it as it would really suck to see someone suffering more cause you did not have a bottle of oxygen. You only need enough to get you back home and some reserve in case there is a hiccup along the way. I am sure if you are going to administer oxygen, a O2 course would be needed also. Kelly at Divesafe in Campbell River puts them on once in awhile. You will also need to get the boat Transport Canada Certified which they make confusing but they will most likely just get you to do a self inspection stating you have everything on board and the boat is seaworthy. Make sure you have what you say on there as if something happened and it was found out you stretched the truth on the paperwork, you could be in big trouble.

akirawut, tregrrr, and Chaos02 ...thanks for the feedback. It is truly appreciated.

...I am working with a whale-watching operator who was wondering if he could use his boats in the off season for dive charters. His off-season is of course the time when diving is at its best in these waters, namely late Fall, Winter, and Spring. As a Whale Watching operator his boats are already covered as far as their insurance, etc. is concerned. It's the "dive aspect" I am working on with him.

Thanks again for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom