Colorado diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisahollis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I just moved back to Longmont, CO and would like to try out some local diving. Anyone know of any going on this weekend that I can join in on? Do any local dive shops post dives? I haven't dove in fresh water before and am anxious to try it out!

Thanks!

Hi lisahollis,

Welcome back to Colorado! Many shops schedule weekend diving at local reservoirs during the summer months, usually for OW training. Other divers are often welcome too. Typically their web sites don't mention the schedule or location so you'll have to call them.

The most popular local areas are Aurora, Horsetooth, and Chatfield Reservoirs, although I think Boulder Reservoir is open to diving too. Most of these are fairly shallow and muddy, with crawdads and a few fish. Aurora has a sunken plane and a dedicated 'scuba beach' but it closes for the season at the end of October. The water is warm enough right now to use a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit (less if you're thick-skinned) but most months I prefer a drysuit.

Another user on the board, Ron Frank was trying to get a gang up to Turquoise Reservoir above Leadville this month. I don't know if that happened. For better freshwater diving many people make the 6-hour drive to Santa Rosa, New Mexico to dive the Blue Hole.

I'm always game for a local dive, usually on the weekends.

glenn

The Turquoise Lake crew is arriving there early tomorrow morning.

I beleive there is an Aurora Reservoir group for next weekend.

There is a group going to Turquoise lake tomorrow morning. They are meeting near the boat launch tomorrow at 9:30am. They have good sized group going. There is a link on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151720711577241

I think it will be very worthwhile.

Thanks guys! I've signed up to do Aurora next weekend. Unfortunately I didn't see the post in time for Turquoise Lake - maybe next time! Question - is it worth buying my own tank here? Ocean First Divers said no, but I'm still wondering. Seems like it would be necessary for trips like Turquoise lake....

The local diving is kinda boring. You may see a few fish or none at all. Just a handful of divers dive here and that is a few times in the summer. If you are one of the rare individuals who will dive here sure a tank or two is a good idea. If not then rent. Us people who dive cause we like to dive even in soup is a limited group.

You will see a bunch of folks dive here in summer. Don't confuse folks taking classes with people who just dive here as the latter is rather a limited group. We also do the six hours to Blue Hole a few times a year or more.

I picked up 2 tanks years ago, and I dive them here and at Blue Hole. You can find used tanks sometimes.

Question - is it worth buying my own tank here? Ocean First Divers said no, but I'm still wondering. .
It depends upon what you plan to do. When I was purely a recreational diver who did only occasional local dives, I saw no reason to own my own tanks. When I started doing technical diving and did a lot of "local" diving--including New Mexico, it made a lot of sense to own my own.

Thanks guys! I've signed up to do Aurora next weekend. Unfortunately I didn't see the post in time for Turquoise Lake - maybe next time! Question - is it worth buying my own tank here? Ocean First Divers said no, but I'm still wondering. Seems like it would be necessary for trips like Turquoise lake....

I think it depends on how much it costs to rent the tanks. Some shops charge by the day. You pick them up on Friday, dive Saturday, return them Monday (they are closed Sunday) and pay for four days' rental. But some shops charge for the weekend. Pick them up Friday afternoon, return them Monday before afternoon/evening classes, and it one rental charge.

Try to figure out how many days each trip will be, and how many dive per trip. The real local stuff is one day, but if you drive 6 hours to Blue Hole, you're going to want to dive more than a single day.

I usually figure that two - three dives a day is fine. Also, if you do go to Blue Hole, you can get tanks there or fill your own for $5 a tank. Most of us refill the tank(s) we take at Blue Hole. It is unlikely that you'll purchase refills much cheaper (although my LDS does have a deal that for $30 and putting their license plate trim ring on my car, I get unlimited air refills). I haven't checked out the price for renting tanks for a weekend. See what their policies are, and remember that you'll have to get them visual inspected annually, and hydro tested every 5 years. You'll need to add those items into the cost of ownership.

You may wish to rent (if you can find a place that will work with you) for a bit and see just how much diving you'll do locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom