Yum Yum Yellow Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love my bright yellow splits. So do my dive buddies. Besides, they go with my bright yellow tanks.

I have the Atomic splits in reef red. I wanted something that would stand out from other divers.

During my OW certain class one of the divers was telling a story about a couple diving together and the wife had similar gear to another female diver on the boat. During the dive the poor husband got confused and apparently started off with the wrong buddy. Needless to say the wife was not very pleased!

During a dive with a buddy in very low viz the only reason we were able stay together was he could make out my red fins.

Dive what you like. Shouldn't matter what other divers say or prefer. It's your gear.

Changed my avatar to show the white shirt, blue black skin, blue hoses, yellow fins and yellow REFLECTIVE lens mask. I have swam with sharks and through schools of barracuda with never a look twice. If anyone would get bit from colors I should be it.

Note: Some species use brilliant colors to express danger to other animals. For all I know they could think I was one bad a$$ not be messed with? *shrug*

Last edited:
Shark week was on TV last week, and I did catch an episode dealing with this issue. They had 2 floats out, one in black and the other in yellow. They were both baited, and floated near each other. The yellow got more attacks than the black. What it means to divers...you be the judge. Personally, I wouldn't worry about. (but my fins are blue:wink:)

It doesn't seem very scientific, same odds of heads and tails if you keep flipping a coin. I think I am going with red just in case something is ever proven though :wink:

I have black fins, but yellow spring straps. When I'm diving I get thanks from everyone I dive with as that little strip of yellow is like neon UW... I would like to get yellow hoses as well but don't want to spend the $$$ for a color.... but over time I will get more colorful!

A lot more on this from a thread I started when I was headed to the Bahamas a few months ago:

No white fins on a shark dive??

I had the same concerns about the high contrast thing. I ended up bringing blue fins and leaving my white ones at home.

Even if they do attack yellow....its just a foot...or two...the rest of you should/could potentially be fine. So, you see you still have the odds in your favor. I would avoid the yellow mask though :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom