Roatan Shark Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is exactly why I liked it. I wasn't there for a circus performance.

I didn't do the dive to see sharks being fed, I wanted to swim with them which we did for about 20 minutes. The one piece of fish in the bucket was just to keep them around so we could get the experience of being close to them.

If you want to see sharks in their natural environment this is a good easy way to do it. I would prefer that the feeding wasn't part of it and that I could get the same experience without it but any sharks I've seen "in the wild" usually keep their distance and there's no way to get this close to them.

It just depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Doug

If you want to see sharks in their natural environment this is a good easy way to do it.Doug
Good point except for the fact this is not their natural environment, they are there because they know people give them handouts, not really natural at all

I did a Bull Shark dive in Playa Del Carmen last December. We had 6 or 7 of them cruising by us for about 30 mins. it was pretty amazing as they would come in pretty close and they were full grown females.The dive shop I went out with did not chum or feed them but apparently one shop in PDC did feed them.
I regret this and will not do it again. Apparently, as it was in an unprotected area some local fisherman would watch where the dive boats were going for this dive and fished many of the sharks out. Very unfortunate.

As I stated, I do not know what Blackbeard's new shark dive will be like but as for the old one done at Bull Run when they sailed out of Freeport, we swam with the sharks before and after the feed. Some were so close that I had to suck in and arch my back so the fin or tail would not swipe me as they passed by.
The shark dive in Roatan was jump in, get to the bottom and wait. We did not swim with anything unless they followed us down the line or back up the line when we finished the dive.
And, I fully agree, WE should NOT feed the sharks. Most especially hand feed. I think Stuart's Cove is creating a potential disaster by hand feeding. They wear chain mail so even if the shark bites the hand that feeds them, no harm but what about divers who are swimming around?
I remember my son's first dive after he got certified. We were in the Bahamas and stopped for a quick little warm up dive at a site called Shark Junction. We were in the water for about 20 minutes when he signals "shark". Then two, then three. I thought wow, usually they swim away when they see us but these guys are coming closer and starting to circle us.
My son thought it was exciting but I was just thinking, get us back on the boat. Later, I learned that another company, Unexco, did a shark feed there which explained why the sharks approached us.
If that is not clear proof that feeding only encourages the animals to associate us with food, I do not know what is.
It is great to see these magnificent animals in the wild but I think we should not feed them. And yea, yea, hypocrite that I am, I am going on Blackbeard this September but my primary reason for the trip is because the Bahamas has some of the best dive sites within a reasonable travel distance.

And yea, yea, hypocrite that I am, I am going on Blackbeard this September but my primary reason for the trip is because the Bahamas has some of the best dive sites within a reasonable travel distance.
I don't find this hypocritical at all, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet, I am very much against fish feeding dives be it sharks, rays, morey's or whatever and have not and will not ever seek those dives out yet I have done two feeding dives over the years, both were while on a liveaboard and it was the planned dive with a bunch of folks wanting to do it so it was either go along or stay on the boat, a few of us tried to get them to take us for a different dive on the skiff but they were not interested.

No chumming necessary; you can always come out to the North Carolina Coast and dive with the Sand Tigers.... Stay as long as you like cause its their turf and they don't mind you sharing with them...!!!

Great dives until you find out that some "Punk" killed one for giggles and grins!!! Sand Tigers are non aggressive towards divers and will allow you to swim really close, just don't get stupid and think you have a right to touch them...!!! They are fricken sharks and we are in their playground...!

Agree with all, I don't like feeding just because it ain't natural. However, having the spouse along on the Roatan Shark Dive and being able to swim around with them for 20 minutes before the feeding did totally change her thoughts about seeing sharks in the future in natural settings (Great Whites being the exception). This opens up new possible dive locations for us where sharks hang out. Not sure my newly expanded scuba trip options justifies shark feeding (OK, fine, it doesn't), but we are two divers who will appreciate sharks forever more but won't be doing "feeds" again.

Rob

Ok, so tell me, who out there does not want to be in a cage and watch a Great White swim by? Is that a feed? I would guess they chum and throw out a hunk of tuna, does that qualify as a feed? Do the men-in-the-grey-suits have to rip through the cage and eat a diver to really be a shark feed? Hmm? Makes ya wonder.

Me. Now if I was simply diving and one swam by then that would be an exciting dive
Perhaps you should call Dr Schwartzenheimer at 555-555-1234. I believe he will help you fight through these suicidal tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom