Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the mooring line, thats covered with fire coral and then reach out and grasp said line with fire coral on it. (also, this was not on designated part of the reef but about 15' below the surface for a safety stop).

Said diver was me, and quickly learned to ID Fire Coral on my own via that.

We had a diver hook up with our team, last trip to Egypt.

After a 35min. 15/20meter dives he all of a sudden shot up:confused:

Back on the boat he told us, his computer told him.....

STOP

Needed one of our OW divers to explain tables and computers to him :D

:eyebrow:

I wouldn't call it dumb, but....

A kid in a class I was assisting with was staring at his tank, which already had regs mounted, while holding his BCD. He appeared to be trying to figure out how to get the BCD onto the tank with the hoses and regs in the way. "That will be a lot easier if you take off the reg and put the BCD on first.", I tell him. The kid proceeds to remove the reg set, then dons the jacket and remounts the reg set. He now looks more baffled than ever and I have received my best lesson ever on being very specific in my wording.

Ok, dumbest thing I ever did as a newbie. I was diving with my sister off my Dads small powerboat. We met two other divers on the beach that saw we were going out and asked if they could join. The four of us got on the boat and powered out to the reef, the plan was to anchor just on the deep side of the reef ledge, sand is about 60'. We dropped the anchor, tied off to the bow cleat, geared up and back rolled in. Down we went, but as I got to the end of the anchor line I saw the anchor.... 10' from the bottom and the reef drifting away. Oops lol we were never anchored. So I ascended was able to reach the cleat from the water, let out a bunch of line, re-tied off, and back down I went. This time, we were anchored, and found a new spot off the reef wall, good thing we were in minimal current of the Caribbean.

I was on a Liveaboard with a couple of people, one of them was a DM who is REALLY into UW photography.

We were getting ready for a night dive, everyone were on the dive deck getting ready, check and recheck...torchs, valve, regs, defog, etc, and then one by one seated themselves on the small boat to go to the drop zone. This DM guy was the last one going into the small boat. But right before he step in, he suddenly yelled out some curse words and did a hand to forehead smack..., he forgot his camera!!

So then he ran from the dive deck on the back of the ship to get his camera all the way to the front...crossing the lounge area (he had a 4 steps ladder in his way), after a brief wait..he returned and guess what...did another forehead smack.....and ran back inside. We were like...what the..!!?!??!?? Turned out..., his memory card wasnt in the camera :shocked2:

Mind you...all those running around he did were all with complete gear ready to go.

So then he jumped into the small boat...dropped down and after descending to the bottom he found out that his mask was still covered in toothpaste :shakehead:

good thing nothing worse happened after that....

I was on a Liveaboard with a couple of people, one of them was a DM who is REALLY into UW photography.

We were getting ready for a night dive, everyone were on the dive deck getting ready, check and recheck...torchs, valve, regs, defog, etc, and then one by one seated themselves on the small boat to go to the drop zone. This DM guy was the last one going into the small boat. But right before he step in, he suddenly yelled out some curse words and did a hand to forehead smack..., he forgot his camera!!

So then he ran from the dive deck on the back of the ship to get his camera all the way to the front...crossing the lounge area (he had a 4 steps ladder in his way), after a brief wait..he returned and guess what...did another forehead smack.....and ran back inside. We were like...what the..!!?!??!?? Turned out..., his memory card wasnt in the camera :shocked2:

Mind you...all those running around he did were all with complete gear ready to go.

So then he jumped into the small boat...dropped down and after descending to the bottom he found out that his mask was still covered in toothpaste :shakehead:

good thing nothing worse happened after that....

And you all wondered why we do all those mask off, mask on, swim without a mask exercises! :D

With only just completing the OW dives and After buying [-]my[/-] his own brand new reg set [-]I[/-] he went to the pool to give it a try. [-]I[/-] He put the 1st stage on the tank upside down and didn't realize it until the hoses were on on the wrong side of the BC.

Reactions: Jax
Forgot to put my T3 in gauge mode today while doing dive for TecXR advanced NITROX class and violated it horribly by flying numbers from the plan and not following the computer, I also forgot to switch to my deco mix on the T3 :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom