2 more upper keys dive fatalities, 8/6/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been following this thread since it started. It was bad enough with some of the off the wall speculation regarding the tragic deaths of 2 divers. While we can all learn something from the aspects of the accident that do know about, we will never know what actually happened that caused their deaths. Most of these have been adequately addressed.

That said, it is a shame that this thread has degenerated into a pi$$ing contest between 2 apparent know-it-alls! It does nothing to respect their memories and you should be ashamed. And if you must continue this babble, take it somewhere else.

Usually a lurker, but had to sign up when this became too much!!

I am in total agreement with you on the bickering. Enough is Enough guys. Everyone is ALWAYS going to have a different opinion about everything [usually]. Right, wrong, or indifferent, they are always there to be taken however you want.

Not everyone dives the same, not everyone learned the same material you did and took the same classes that the way you did, and not everyone dives the way YOU do. Just because they do not does not mean it is an incorrect method or technique.

That being said, please do us ALL a favor: if what you do is, or will be, considered an UNSAFE practice according to the methodology and teachings of the accrediting agencies, please do not mention it. Many novice divers read this forum and learn from it. Different methods that you have developed over the years that work for you work for those reasons; they may not work for someone with less experience.

Lets try to remember that 2 people died.

If we can learn from it and teach preventative practices as a result - GREAT. If not, lets just keep the peace and all get along

I agree with the last two gentlemen.... We're not doing the memory of the deceased any favors by bickering. BTW, I don't do a lot of diving in cold water... so I can't comment.... all my commentary is in relation to wet suit diving under 5mm.

I'm done with the pi$$ing contest..... this statement, however, bears repeating and dittoing 100 times.... :

That being said, please do us ALL a favor: if what you do is, or will be, considered an UNSAFE practice according to the methodology and teachings of the accrediting agencies, please do not mention it. Many novice divers read this forum and learn from it. Different methods that you have developed over the years that work for you work for those reasons; they may not work for someone with less experience.

I have been following this thread since the beginning. Not because I am an avid scuba diver, hardly, I only snorkel, but because my DEAR friend died in this tragic accident. She died as she lived, helping someone else. Someone she didn't even know before that day.

I have been lurking hoping to obtain any information that I can, but then the thread deteriorated. Thank you to those that have posted information that helps me to somewhat sort out this terrible, terrible tragedy.

I will continue to monitor to see if anything new develops.

Sorry to hear about your loss Flowerpower. Threads like this often get ugly because we all have various standards of what is acceptable and what is not (how traditional and how much redundancy in your dive rig you allow for equipment failures, yet trying to keep it a sport you can enjoy). Because of that people get strong feelings. It sounded from the start like your friend was trying to help in a bad situation and it compiled into a worse situation.

Yes. I am sorry for your loss as well. I am also sorry this thread deteriorated.

Discussions of events such as this, even speculation, offer what I want to believe is information that might help somebody be safer (if we can navigate through the garbage).

I have been following this thread since the beginning. Not because I am an avid scuba diver, hardly, I only snorkel, but because my DEAR friend died in this tragic accident. She died as she lived, helping someone else. Someone she didn't even know before that day.

I have been lurking hoping to obtain any information that I can, but then the thread deteriorated. Thank you to those that have posted information that helps me to somewhat sort out this terrible, terrible tragedy.

I will continue to monitor to see if anything new develops.

flowerpower, welcome to Scubaboard. I am sorry for the circumstances which brought you here and for the tragic loss of your good friend. She was living her life to the fullest and died selflessly helping a stranger. We hope by discussing these accidents here that lessons are learned to avoid any repeat incidences.
My heartfelt condolences to everyone touched by the tragedy.

I think the thread went bad when people realized that we were talking about an experienced diver, even though the details as we had them indicated otherwise. At that point no reasonably intelligent discussion could follow, because nothing of what we knew made sense. I left the discussion then at that point, and I don't see any point in any further discussion of the incident until new, accurate information emerges.

I wonder how long they had been divers and why on earth wouldn't you know how much air you have left? I watch my gauges alot sometimes more than I should but I like to know how deep I am and how much air I have. On a recent trip to Flordia with several new divers I found myself checking a few of the newer divers gauges, and when we got back on the boat one guy told me he really appreciated that. It a fun sport, but it does have its dangers.

I wonder...why on earth wouldn't you know how much air you have left?
It should not happen, but does. Happened to me after 300 dives because I was following my camera too much and not dealing with important issues. I am not a hunter, but I understand that hunters can be as bad or worse. Just one of several learning opportunities to take from this thread...!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom