Weights in BC pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some places like the Maldives consider this unsafe; they think all weights should be ditchable. So if you have to do it, keep a low profile; my wife does it all the time. :D

Assuming those weights are lead, weight is weight. (The density of water renders a lot of things that are "weights" on land less useful underwater, as anyone who has tried to pick up rocks to make up for underweighting has vividly learned.)

BC pockets are not designed to hold weights, though, and especially hard weights will wear through the pocket material or even damage the stitching, depending on the BC. In addition, the points already made about weight stability are important. It is rather miserable to dive when, if you change position, you suddenly have a big change in balance. However, if all you are trying to do is figure out where you need to put weight to get properly weighted and balanced, using things like what you show may be quite adequate. Once you determine what you need and where you need it, you can acquire weights that are the right amount and size, and the proper methods of securing them.

Those weights look like standard rubber-coated cast iron or steel weights. If you use them in the water, I can pretty much guarantee they *will* leave rust stains all over. I've used similar weights (in a variety of shapes) for various temporary uses both in diving and paddling, and the rubber coatings are just about utterly useless in wet situations (as opposed to the merely damp and sweaty).

They will inevitably crack if they haven't already, and in short order. Then, although they don't rust away, they will provide a nice earthy red on contact. (I've found the non-rubber-coated ones with the slightly textured enamel-like surface actually stand up not *too* poorly, as long as you religiously buff and paint/enamel/coat any scratches as they appear. If you skip a day, your gear starts turning Martian.)

Back
Top Bottom