Smith Lake - Vidor (Report and Story)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I don't know, maybe just all the derogatory comments about east texans all because one guy who changed his clothes in public had a bad experience. I think you just confirmed the point of my weak attempt at humor. Lighten up Francis.

No need to be rude:shakehead:
Somebody must have met "Everybody's favorite diver", LOL.

Hummmm let me guess... Nope I think he would be more indignant.

Last edited:
Me and 2 friends dove there last week for the first time and for being close to home (only a little over an hour) away its was ok. The guy we met was nice and helpful said if we had been there 2 weeks earlier it was a whole lot clearer, but it was still not to bad, 18' deep and check out the boats and saw a few large perch along the bank. If you must get on the bottom and your choices are limited then Smith Lake is the place. I think we will be going back soon just because its cheap,close, and we get to dive.

Can you dive during the week, or is it just on the weekends?

After all the posts and over 6000+ views on this thread it seems like we could find an even more pungent spot to dive then Vidor.

Suggestions:
Lake Pat Mayse / Lamar County.
The "Big Foot Convention" will be coming up sometime pretty soon.
Lake Vis. 3 feet or less , maybe 40 feet of depth, low light below 10 feet, lots of fishing line, snakes, skinny girls with little visibility or depth at the hippie beach, beer close by for sale.

Lake Crook / Lamar County.
AA Top Fuel Drag Boat Races in Summer. The lake has Less depth then visibility ( satistically anyway ). of course, again so do the chubby bikini girls that hang out there. just 15 miles from Lake Pat Mayse but Ohhhh...what a difference. Snakes , cattails, horsetail, Coontails, More Possums then people except on days when entitlement checks are electronically distributed... 4 miles to the nearest beer.

Maxey Pond / Lamar County/ Secret access need to know basis
Fenced, large, way in the sticks., nobody knows about it as a dive site.
Poachers frequent the place, snakes , coons , Basically no chubby-skinny- old or any chicks at all ever go there or know about it. many many Many fish.

Last edited:
Can you dive during the week, or is it just on the weekends?

Back in the day you could dive any time so long as you stuck the correct amount of cash in the box by the picnic tables - weekday, weekend, 3am on a holiday, didn't matter. That's been a while back so you may want to call ahead and find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom