Bare Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fernie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Can anyone tell me the difference in the differnt kinds of Bare Wetsuits? Whats the best in terms of quality and what you think is the best value?

Bare has basically 3 lines of wetsuits. The Sport, the Velocity and the Elastek. The sport being the entry level suit, the Velocity being the mid range one and the Elastek being the top range suit. Some options and colours like having a Tall or Short sized wetsuits are only available in the Velocity and Elastek lines.

Sport line: It's a good suit with good seams. The material used is a lot stiffer than the Velocity or Elastek lines. Great suit if you don't want or can't spend too much.

Velocity line: Best bang for your buck. More stretchy than the sport, although not as much as the Elastek. Available short and tall sizing options. Cut slightly different so may be more comfortable when bending your knees and elbows.

Elastek line: This is Bare's top line. Even more stetchy material than the velocity and the finish is different inside, making smoother and more comfy. I believe, depending on the thickness of the suit, that you also get the added benefit of having neoprene bands sewn in the wrist and ankle area of the suit to act as seals to prevent too much water from coming in the suit and cooling you down too much.

That's off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure this info is correct.

whats the difference in price? i saw a velocity 5mm withe bands on the inside for 299 canadian in toronto at a local dive shop..i cant seem to find it online and not sure if its a great deal.

Seems like a good price. I mostly deal with 3/2 and 7/14. Not too familiar with the prices for 5mm.

Why a 5mm by the way?

Velocity price is in the middle, but typcially not much more than the Sport line. Elastek is more expensive.

Also, check out what year the suit is. If a store is selling old stock, the price is typically cheaper than a current year suit. Remember neoprene breaks down over time as well as the number and depth of the dives.

I've used Bare suits for over 10 years. Great quality products.

Reactions: Jax
What ScubaJohn said. We've had Bares for 10 years that still look great, while my Pinnacle lasted only two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom