Whiskey Wreck Snorkeling Report 8/6/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
We had some non-diving friends staying with us in Pensacola, and we all wanted to go to the Beach. Since Johnson's Beach is a desert wasteland underwater, and the boats pass very close to the second sandbar, I lobbied for a trip over to the Whiskey Wreck. I was told by Down Under Dive Shop (Brian) that they had run off the Jetski vendor.

I planned to get there at 8am to more easily find a parking space, and hopefully a less crowded beach. The friends kept us delayed until 9:30. The parking lot was empty, but the beach had started filling up, and the jetski vendor had already put up his marking lane directly adjacent to the whiskey wreck. So much for their being run off.

Vis was excellent on an outgoing tide at 20-25' and I had little problem finding the wreck. I tied off my dive flag about 25' from the last jetski buoy, which sat over the west-most part of the eastern portion of the wreck.

The wreck is mostly sanded in, with about 2' of relief on the north side of a 60' section of wreckage. The south side was sanded in to about 1'. A school of spadefish, some small snapper, a largish catfish, and lots of tropicals called the limited shelter home. There were several stingrays about and one was big enough to sport a remora rider. Moon Jellies were abundant, but there were no stinging sea nettles.

I snorkeled around for about an hour and a half before calling it a day. A brief shower and west wind kept things cool until we left close to noon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report!

I was thinking about the Whiskey just the other day. . . I haven't been back since last summer with you guys. Maybe the weekend after this I'll be available.

I'm glad I didn't drag tanks out for it. It was much easier snorkeling it. Vis started getting snotty by noon, though. I was playing with a HUGE moon jelly and got a little sting on my hand/fingers.

Oh, and lots of salt water in the sinuses...Good times.

Paul, you can actually find it now? :wink:

Ha there been a lot of jet ski traffic since the vendor has been there? Maybe when school starts back up he will be forced to go somewhere else.

It was pretty busy through the morning between jetski and banana boat rentals/tows. Even some ferrying to the parasail boat. They did stay between the buoys and idle speed, for the most part. Unfortunately, the last buoy was at the West end of the exposed portion of the wreck, so they throttled up and headed East nearly over head.

They were not disrespectful to my snorkeling at all. Just not receptive to moving 10 or 20 yards down the beach.

Hey guys, I have heard of the Whiskey Wreck and am interested in checking it out and doing some freediving there. The directions I have heard to locate the site is go to Bahama Bob's Restaurant , could anyone give me some better details and directions? Sorry I'm a noobie at this, so any information you can give would be much appreciated! PS I have a GPS, so if anyone has the coordinates for it that would be great as well. Thanks so much! Noah

Hey guys, I have heard of the Whiskey Wreck and am interested in checking it out and doing some freediving there. The directions I have heard to locate the site is go to Bahama Bob's Restaurant , could anyone give me some better details and directions? Sorry I'm a noobie at this, so any information you can give would be much appreciated! PS I have a GPS, so if anyone has the coordinates for it that would be great as well. Thanks so much! Noah

Get off I-10 at AL exit 44 (Hwy 59). Go south to the beach (Hwy 182). Turn right and go 3/4 mile. Just past the traffic signal, Bahama Bob's restaurant will be on your left. Turn into the State Park parking area just before the restaurant. It's small, so if it's full, park in the state park overflow parking across the street.

Walk down the boardwalk to the beach. Align the Bahama Bob's sign with the East side of the restaurant, and, with a dive flag, swim out ~100yds. Look East and align yourself with the center of the Pier at the Big State park at the foot of Hwy 59. The wreck should be 6-10' beneath you, running roughly E-W.

If the jet ski operation is set up already, they usually mark the wreck with the last buoy of their lane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom