Kona in January Questions????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoz22

Contributor
Reaction score
My family and I are going to be in Kona Jan 24-30. I have a few questions.

1. what is the average air temperatures in Jan
2. What is the average water temperature.
3. Are there any dives close to shore for the Manta Dives.
4. Any other good dive suggestions?
5. What about whale watches?

We are staying at the Hilton in Kona.

Kathy in Texas

Average air temp, call it 80-83 for a daily high, 68-72 for a low at your elevation.

Water temps can be all over the board, this year it was about 77, unusually warm for a January. A couple years back it was 71, unusually cold for anytime in Hawaii. I usually expect it to be about 74+/-

The manta dive off the Sheraton can in theory be done from shore, be careful, especially in January as that's usually the month with the most swell from the northwest.

There's lots of good day dives in Kona, it was generally considered to be the best overall diving in Hawaii before the manta dive became the big draw that it is. Kona has the best overall reef structure in the main Hawaiian islands, plenty of fish, very good viz in general, and some decent topography. What it won't have is wrecks.

January is high season for humpback whales in Kona. Captain Dan McSweeney is the big name in whalewatch tours here. Most of the dolphin swim companies focus on whale watches that time of year.

.... Kona has the best overall reef structure in the main Hawaiian islands, plenty of fish, very good viz in general, and some decent topography....

I'd be interested in a topic hijack where you explain the first part of this statement ... :coffee:

halemanō;6002460:
I'd be interested in a topic hijack where you explain the first part of this statement ... :coffee:

Hey, sorry for generalizations....

NOAA has done extensive studies on the amount of reefs in Hawaii - NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - New NOAA Maps Show Big Island Has Most Live Coral of Main Hawaiian Islands

Perhaps I should have said most. I also go heavily off of what customers tell me, and what my employee Bob (who worked for Captain Bruce for 5 years, took several vacations to Maui and Kauai before visiting Kona) told me. In Bob's words... Kona actually has reef,he knew after his first visit he needed to move here.

The fish comment comes primarily from the fact that frankly - there are "plenty of fish". I didn't say "most", although that may be the case. 75-85 percent of all fish collection in the state comes from a 40 mile stretch of the west side of the Big Island, and that has been the case since at least the 70's. I asked a tropical fish wholesaler on Oahu about it in the early 80s and he said that Kona was where the fish were. Anyway, I'd think it would be tough to dive all of the main Hawaiian islands and not say Kona has plenty of fish.

On the viz thing, when it rains on rock, you get clear water running off it. When it rains on soil, you get muddy water running off it. There are a total of 0 streams and rivers on the west side of the Big Island. Rain does not affect the viz at most dive sites most of the time in Kona, in fact, I can only recall seeing any brown water at all twice in my 12 years here, both after so called 100 year storms. Kona doesn't even have much in the way of sand, when we get a big swell that is coming in, it can affect sandy areas that face that direction, however a boat can generally go around a point and find a protected spot that has good viz, and savvy shore divers can pretty much do the same thing by site choice. I come from diving off Newport Oregon, where a "good" viz day was over 10', I consider "bad" viz days in Kona to be anything under 60 feet... we rarely get that. The worst viz I've ever guided here was about 25-30 feet, a couple of time an algae bloom came through, and a couple of times the surf has come up during the second dive in a sandy spot, and a and that's only a few times ever for me. I'd consider 70-100 feet of viz to be pretty good in general, I'd consider it to be typical here, with many more days of over 100 feet in comparison to less than 60. Maui has Molokini, which being located where it is should have consistant good viz, but the nearshore spots are much more succeptible to mother nature I suspect.

I do not claim have extensive dive experience in all the islands, few here do. The only one I can think of that did was Wildcard, and he raved about the diving in Kona a couple of times in "comparison" threads before he passed away.

A beach day at Ho'okena is a must. The diving is fair, there's a better than 50:50 chance of Spinner Dolphins, slightly less for close encounters with a humpback. I've also seen Wahoo, Billfish and a very large Tiger Shark there. Besides, it's one of the prettiest beaches in the world.

3. Are there any dives close to shore for the Manta Dives.

See shorediving.com for a write-up on the Sheraton Manta dive.
Depending on your level of experience you may want to consider renting a boat at Kona Boat Rentals for a day. They will direct you to some great uncrowded dive sites and you can watch whales and dolphins too. My favorite spot was the "Long lava tube" which would probably suck if there was a tour group load of divers in it.

For getting back to me. We are use to diving in Cozumel. We always try to get a couple of trips there every year. We will most likely get a boat to do some dives because I have trouble crawling in and out of the water in full gear due to my knee replacements. But doing a back roll off the boat is so much easier. lol I have a polartec wetsuit that I love and I dont have to have as much weight that way. I also have a 3 m shortie that I could wear over it if necessary. I sure do appreciate all your information. We have been diving in Maui several times. Actually I was certified there at the black rock at the Sheraton hotel by Charles Carter. I am not sure where he is now. But that was in 1990. Since then we have been diving mostly in Cozumel but also the Cayman Islands and of course back to Maui. I have not dove any of the other Islands and heard Kona was the best in Hawaii. I was not impressed with Maui diving after diving in Cozumel. Actually we are headed to Cozumel next week for a week of diving and taking our grandson with us who has been diving since he was 10 yrs old. He is now 16.I am looking forward to seeing the whales since the only time we have been in Hawaii is in the summer months. Thanks for your prompt reply, I like to plan our vacations well in advance. Kathy in Tx

Average air temp, call it 80-83 for a daily high, 68-72 for a low at your elevation.

Water temps can be all over the board, this year it was about 77, unusually warm for a January. A couple years back it was 71, unusually cold for anytime in Hawaii. I usually expect it to be about 74+/-

The manta dive off the Sheraton can in theory be done from shore, be careful, especially in January as that's usually the month with the most swell from the northwest.

There's lots of good day dives in Kona, it was generally considered to be the best overall diving in Hawaii before the manta dive became the big draw that it is. Kona has the best overall reef structure in the main Hawaiian islands, plenty of fish, very good viz in general, and some decent topography. What it won't have is wrecks.

January is high season for humpback whales in Kona. Captain Dan McSweeney is the big name in whalewatch tours here. Most of the dolphin swim companies focus on whale watches that time of year.

A beach day at Ho'okena is a must. The diving is fair, there's a better than 50:50 chance of Spinner Dolphins, slightly less for close encounters with a humpback. I've also seen Wahoo, Billfish and a very large Tiger Shark there. Besides, it's one of the prettiest beaches in the world.

Where is the Ho'okena beach?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom