Yum Yum Yellow Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I started my cert classes I was required to get some fins. I spoke to the person there and they recommended these Scuba Pro Twin Jet Fins. I asked about the colors and one of them mentioned that the bright yellow was liked because of the visibility. If it comes off it will be easier to see it as well as other divers can easily identify you.

So then I start to read about Yum Yum Yellow and found out that, while sharks rely mostly on their other senses, they will take a higher interest in something with a higher contrast. Knowing the rarety of shark attacks and how most of my diving will be in Great Lakes Area, I to thought it would be better to be seen than worry about a very small chance in a place where I would seldomly dive.

Then I read the book Shadow Divers, while I loved the book, I did get the feeling that brightly colored fins were looked down upon. I am very indifferent to color and went for what I understand as function at the time. The place I got it from does exchanges, is it really that bad or are people really indifferent now adays. I am guessing that if people didn't like yellow, they wouldn't sell it.

-Hostage

When I started my cert classes I was required to get some fins. I spoke to the person there and they recommended these Scuba Pro Twin Jet Fins. I asked about the colors and one of them mentioned that the bright yellow was liked because of the visibility. If it comes off it will be easier to see it as well as other divers can easily identify you.

So then I start to read about Yum Yum Yellow and found out that, while sharks rely mostly on their other senses, they will take a higher interest in something with a higher contrast. Knowing the rarety of shark attacks and how most of my diving will be in Great Lakes Area, I to thought it would be better to be seen than worry about a very small chance in a place where I would seldomly dive.

Then I read the book Shadow Divers, while I loved the book, I did get the feeling that brightly colored fins were looked down upon. I am very indifferent to color and went for what I understand as function at the time. The place I got it from does exchanges, is it really that bad or are people really indifferent now adays. I am guessing that if people didn't like yellow, they wouldn't sell it.

-Hostage

I'm not sure what the question is?? Are you asking if people look down upon colored gear? I don't. I think having something that makes you stand out a bit and easier to identify is a great thing. I also wouldn't sweat sharks deciding to eat you from the knees down because of the color of your fins. There are, however, people on this forum that are going to scream about the split fin thing. :D

Kristopher

I use yellow fins to be more visible to my students. As for your concern that sharks might be attracted to them, I doubt it. Having done hundreds of dives off the coast of California, Hawaii, Mexico where sharks are known to be. I have never had any investigate the yellow fins or me for that matter.
On your last point whether colors are looked down upon, I'm wondering why that is a concern? were not buying gear to please someone else. Were buying for function. if a certain color pleases you then great thats what really matters.

As I understand it, that mention in Shadow Divers was with regard to Caribbean vacation-only divers who, at the time, were decking themselves out all sorts of neon gear. Think disco meets Jaques Cousteau.

As said above, many instructors use yellow fins. Some badassed tech divers do to.

In short, yellow fins are neither a diving nor a fashion faux pas.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares what other people think about your gear? Do you like bright colors? Do YOU think they'll be easier to see/distinguish from other gear or stuff?

Sharks aren't going to attack you because you have yellow fins, or pink fins or anything else. Most shark "attacks" are more like "accidental strikes" and are generally associated with other things like feeding or fishing that cause a case of mistaken identity.

For what it's worth, there are certainly people who believe all gear should be black. I say they can take their black gear and stick in a black hole... I wear gear that is comfortable and is a reasonable price. I have bright yellow, black, blue, bright pink, orange, and a couple of other colors. I clash and I like it. Worrying about a shark attack while buying gear is akin to worrying about a lightening strike while buying a car. It really isn't relevant and has a very low likelihood of the situation occurring.

Unless you're wearing yellow split fins that you refer to as "My Yum yum yellow splitties" I won't judge :D

Your choice of gear color is yours alone. Majority of divers will act like their out of highschool and won't give you true grief over your choice of colors. Maybe a little friendly banter on occasion.

I wouldn't worry about the shark issue either. Most of it is just myths and old wives tales. There really is no conclusive all species-encompassing scientific studies on how sharks perceive and react to different colors.
And besides, it's all black and white if they're looking up at you.

Fin color is an easy way to distinguish who is who when you're diving in a group. I'm happy when I see that my dive buddies have colorful fins.

Who cares what other divers think !!

If you like them...... thats all that matters !!

I at one time dove with 2 different colored fins so that students could easily distinguish me .Even on non teaching dives I would use the two different colored fins because they were stowed in my gear bag.No one ever said anything about my fins even when I was on wreck penetration dives in the Northeast (NY,NJ).

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for your input guys, I was starting to feel selfconcsious for a sec. Now I just need to get my open water dive. Had to put it off since I had a L2 AC Seperation on my shoulder. Dr gave the green light and I am hoping to get a dive scheduled this weekend.

Actually numerous studies have been done regarding color that sharks prefer. There are many conflicting reports. Here are a few:

Jan, 2011
Short Sharp Science: Are yellow-loving sharks colour-blind?

In 2007, Mythbusters did a study and here is the link.

‪MythBusters - Shark's Favorite Color?‬‏ - YouTube

The conclusion of most Scientists are Sharks are attracted to contrast. Gear that contains a mix of dark and light colours with sharp demarcations is the most easily visible from below. Wearing colours that blend in with the surface is best. It may be the reflective quality of yellow that catches a shark’s eye, not the hue itself.

Back
Top Bottom