Scuba Activities ? (things to do underwater?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What this boils down to, is how easily people get bored with diving.

Some are perfectly happy diving in shallow reefs looking at the pretty fishies, while others want more

well, personally im limited to beach dives as well as dives at an unconventional lake i know. occasionally i do a boat dive with my schools dive club. but most of time beach/the one know diveable lake in Miami :S After a few dives to the same place the question "what else can we do down there starts poping up"

the way i see it, if you have the equipment and knowledge/experience to be be down there why not use that to your advantage and do something other then just stair at things.

Now, in terms of all this underwater procreation thing you guys started..... RoatanMan seems to have written or have access to a beta version of a manual so i guess all our problems are solved. would really like to know what the girls think about this though.

I really want to make a waterproof/slightly negative version of monopoly. I think would be fun to play on a training platform.
?? dont now if your serious about that one, but if you are... you can probably just laminate the playing board and the cards. but the money......? could be replaced with something that's not paper.
definitely serious. it would take a lot of work to laminate it all, but it would kill a lot of time on a training platform, and make for some interesting quarry diving. Plus, it's a good way to practice buoyancy...
I sliced the printed top off the cardboard backing and laminated that. Then I laminated all of the cards individually. I left enough laminate off the edge that I could punch holes in the laminate but *not* through the paper inside, as that keeps the cards from being waterlogged. Each set (Chance, Community Chest, and properties) gets put on a snap-ring (like you can use for index cards) to keep them together, and each player gets a snap ring for their properties. Houses/hotels are easily marked in grease pencil on the laminated board, so we don't bother trying to use the plastic ones, but you have to keep track of the total as well, as there are a limited number available (we keep the available ones as empty squares in the middle of the board). We figured it was the 21st century, so we did away with paper money. The banker keeps everyone's balance on a slate (or wetnotes, if you'd rather). As for pieces, decorated binder clips, clothespins, or other similar devices seem to be the easiest. (Weights don't hold stationary very well, and magnets require additional work on the board.) The other required piece of gear is a transparent-lidded OtterBox or similar case for the dice. You cannot effectively roll dice underwater, so you put them in the "shaker box", which allows you to roll the dice in air.

This sub-thread reminds me that I never did get around to finishing our ISOSAD group's Monopoly Challenge. I lost track of my underwater-adapted Monopoly set during my big move, so I may have to start over. (Glad I have a laminating machine.) As soon as I can actually get a game done, I'll have to add it to our ISOSAD Underwater Gaming HowTo, which hasn't been updated in far too long.

We play underwater cards all the time (with printed plastic playing cards), not to mention UNO and all variety of other games. It's great fun. Sure, it's a bit on the absurdist end of things, but if you can't have fun in completely pointless ways, how can you have fun at all? :biggrin:

I sliced the printed top off the cardboard backing and laminated that. Then I laminated all of the cards individually. I left enough laminate off the edge that I could punch holes in the laminate but *not* through the paper inside, as that keeps the cards from being waterlogged. Each set (Chance, Community Chest, and properties) gets put on a snap-ring (like you can use for index cards) to keep them together, and each player gets a snap ring for their properties. Houses/hotels are easily marked in grease pencil on the laminated board, so we don't bother trying to use the plastic ones, but you have to keep track of the total as well, as there are a limited number available (we keep the available ones as empty squares in the middle of the board). We figured it was the 21st century, so we did away with paper money. The banker keeps everyone's balance on a slate (or wetnotes, if you'd rather). As for pieces, decorated binder clips, clothespins, or other similar devices seem to be the easiest. (Weights don't hold stationary very well, and magnets require additional work on the board.) The other required piece of gear is a transparent-lidded OtterBox or similar case for the dice. You cannot effectively roll dice underwater, so you put them in the "shaker box", which allows you to roll the dice in air.

This sub-thread reminds me that I never did get around to finishing our ISOSAD group's Monopoly Challenge. I lost track of my underwater-adapted Monopoly set during my big move, so I may have to start over. (Glad I have a laminating machine.) As soon as I can actually get a game done, I'll have to add it to our ISOSAD Underwater Gaming HowTo, which hasn't been updated in far too long.

We play underwater cards all the time (with printed plastic playing cards), not to mention UNO and all variety of other games. It's great fun. Sure, it's a bit on the absurdist end of things, but if you can't have fun in completely pointless ways, how can you have fun at all? :biggrin:

If I'm ever in LA, we must go on a dive and play

My number one favorite thing to do under water is BREATHE!! The rest is a bonus, whatever it is!!:eyebrow:

Im on the call list for divers for recovering bodies on the North Slope. So that is an activity in a bazaar sort of way...

Hmm...I've heard of underwater hockey which seems to be a fun idea. I've also seen people do pumpkin carving, though a lot of the "underwater activities" just seem to be randomly placed underwater

I can not believe know one has talked about......Treasure Hunting. Its big with many divers including some of the most famous. Chatterton comes to mind. Gary hosted a show called Treasure Hunters, but it was canceled after one season. I bet Gary still has the bug.

People have made fun of topics like underwater basket weaving

I found a place that sells "underwater basket weaving" merit badge patches. I do plan on teaching and awarding the merit badge for my scout divers. I'll bet it is much harder than the above water version. Too bad they can't count it toward advancement :( underwater basket weaving.jpg

When I'm diving the "Serengetti Plains" with nothing to look at, drift diving of course, I see how quickly I can locate a piece of equipment with my gloved hand without looking. It's a test that sharpens my ability to locate my octo (if I'm using one), spg , weightbelt, buckle, etc. I do it almost unconsciously now, and if I'm caught on video doing this, it looks like I have ADHD and OCD combined. :D

Back
Top Bottom