50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chicago, Il.
I mostly dive in the Bay Islands of Honduras
AOW and Nitrox
Has anybody done their DM cert. in their 50's? I really want to do this and was wondering if "age" makes any difference...

I was 58 when I got my DM cert. Age doesn't make a difference if you have the stamina to carry out the responsibiliites and work load. I'll be 60 this month and anticipate DM'ing actively for another good 10 years or more.

Quick question. Is the DM certification reserved only for younger divers? I'm 57 and in good shape. I would really like to do the DM.
AM I TOO OLD??????

m'go

Again, if you are healthy and fit, no reason not to go for it. Many divers are aging now due to the baby boomer generation, and I see lots of "old-timers" still going out and having a fantastic time. I believe active scuba diving keeps one younger physically, emotionally, and mentally. One is never too old if they don't feel too old. What is old, anyway?? It's all in one's mind and attitude. I have a big 'tude going, so I'm not gonna be old as long as I can dive and do it safely. At least another 20 years or more.......:D

54 in just over a month and just earned my DM. After reading the posts on the DM swim tests I must be in great shape compared to many DM candidates - that or they worry to much ;-)

Certified by NASDS OW, SSI Senior, University of California 100 hr/12 dive Advanced, NAUI Rescue, and recently PADI Rescue and DM.

I would prefer to dive in the Carribean (sorry can't spell) with warm water dives in Can Cun, Cozemel, and Maui/Lanai. For the California coast San Diego is pretty good, and would like more Channel Island dives. Right now I'm 'stuck' with Monterey (cold, iffy viz, but LOTS of life and lakes (I've just discovered).

I've just gotten back to diving from several years lay-off. My buddy (husband) won't do cold water anymore.

Just now in the club :eek:) Certified in my 20's, then stopped diving when I started having kids (and had not time nor money!) AOW diver, recently got the fever to "get wet" again and have been going at it hard for about a year now. Dove the liberty ship Nettleton yesterday off Georgia Coast (I'm from Savannah, GA)...nice dive, about 75ft. vis was not great but adequate. Saw a huge jewfish and an enormous grouper (he musta weighed 200 lbs!) lots of jellies in the water...which was at 80+ degrees so I opted to wear a shorty. big mistake! shoulda worn a .5 mil!!! also plenty of 'cuda, some snapper and much baitfish. Starfish, sand dollars, sponges ane anemones in abundance. ship is very cool!!!

54 years old, diving for 41 years.
Live on Long Island NY.
Dive the tri-state area plus vacation trips.
North Shore Aquatics in Northport NY.
Commercial Diver.

Currently 51 YO. Began diving in 1982, took a long hiatus and am now jumping back into it with both fins. My new fiance got me fired up on it and we haven't looked back - we live in Phoenix. I had one of the best weeks of my life diving wrecks and reefs around Key West with her in May. It was her first dive trip and first ocean dive experience. We used Lost Reef, Key West for the bulk of our dives - great people and great experience.

Spent the Fourth of July weekend diving in and around La Jolla Cove, CA and the Coronado Islands out of San Diego. We are both getting our advanced open water cert next weekend on a dive trip to San Carlos, Mex with the Academy of Scuba (a great dive shop located here in Phoenix). Trying to decide where out next dive trip is going to be right now and what cert I should get next...

51 years old, diving for 6 years
I currently live in Okinawa, Japan
I mostly dive around Okinawa, but also have been to FIJI, Bonaire, various places stateside
Stateside: Its All About Scuba, Fairfield, CA Okinawa: Torii Station Scuba Locker
Current certifications: PADI OWSI, DSAT TEC 50, Board Certified in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine

OW in 1968 but took a loooong break. Just got back into diving in 2009.
AOW, EANx, Rescue
Deciding whether to take DM or my first Tech class next month.
Fort Lauderdale

I am 62
I live in Myrtle Beach, SC but have not dived here yet, just moved here 2 months ago...
I dive with Olympus in Morehead City, NC mostly but did Truk this past February, Oriskany is in my future...
I am a NAUI instructor since 1982 and am currently taking some basic tech courses in NC :eyebrow:

Hello all,
I am 64 years young and my wife(dive buddy) is 62 years younger. We are both Padi Master Divers, dive Nitrox, and have Cressi Sub gear. At our age we dive Nitrox for the safety aspect and fitness is also esstential, so we excerise regularly. We live in Danville, Virginia (south central Virginia on the North Carolina/Virginia line). We have been diving since 1998 and enjoy diving whenever we can. Try to do 2+ dive trips a year and also dive our local quarries. As for trips we have been to Fiji, Cozumel, Grand and Little Cayman, Bequia, Grand Turk, Roatan, Utila, Bonaire, Key Largo, and West Palm Florida. Our next trip is to Cayman Brac in December. Our dive shop is Burlington Dive Center, Burlington, NC. As for work, I retired in 2006 from a CFO position, relaxed for 3 1/2 years and now run two monoplace Hyperbaric Chambers in our local hospital. To enhance my CHT I will be taking a DMT training program in September 2011 through DAN. Really looking forward to the additional classroom training. Well that should be enough for now. Safe Diving all. Burt

Back
Top Bottom