What size Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive an AL19, which my air consumption calculations showed would be ample air for an ascent from my deepest planned depth while breathing at twice the rate of my usual high-end and still making my 2-3 minute deep stop and a safety stop. I also have an AL30, and if I were planning a dive toward the edge of my envelope, I'd carry that instead of the AL19. (In the meantime, the 30 is also small enough to unobtrusively leave behind the seat in the car for when I want tire air, hehe.)

Smaller than 19cf would not be sufficient to cover my expected depths, and I'm tall enough that smaller isn't necessary for convenience. Larger than 19cf is more than I need for any standard dive, and even the 30 adds enough that I wouldn't want to fly with it.

On the other hand, if I breathed a tank down as hard as mb's dad, an AL19 would not be sufficient air for a stressed ascent with stops from his maximum planned depths. He picked up an AL30, which should suit him. Of course, he was apparently thinking he'd use an old crappy unmaintained reg on it, which I have strongly advised against. If you're carrying a pony for backup, you don't need high performance, necessarily, but you do want reliability. (I used to like the AquaLung Titan, as it was a great just-works reg; unfortunately, they now downgraded it to use a hideous proprietary hose, which rules it out completely.)

I am curious as to which side divers are slinging their pony and why. I have a 19cf that I have rigged for the left side. I use the pony ONLY for back up gas just in case of a failure of equipment. I have never had to use it but know that it is there just in case the day comes.

I am curious as to which side divers are slinging their pony and why. I have a 19cf that I have rigged for the left side.
I sling my pony on my left, as I am right-handed. Conveniently, this also means my right-side octo is not at all obstructed (although "pony with or without octo" is a whole 'nother thread, hehe).

I am a recreational diver how does solo dives some times. Many of the dives around here are about 75’-90’. We get a lot of tourist divers and so sometimes your dive buddy isn’t that good of a buddy (sometimes he is great). I believe you should have redundant air.

Because of all these factors I will sometimes take a pony and when I do it’s an Al 19 (sufficient for the deeper depths) slung on my right side.

Slinging it on the right might be wrong but I didn’t get sufficient instruction in its use so here is my justification; I feel that the pony might get in the way of the inflator. I have an SPG clipped to the left hip, a knife on the left hip and an inflator on the left shoulder. Felt like I had enough on that side. I have heard it argued that placing the pony on the right might entangle your primary hose. I don’t have or need a 7’ hose so this hasn’t been a problem.

“I don’t often dive with a pony but when I do it’s an AL 19” –The most interesting diver in the world

Yes, I also sling mine on the right. The left is busy with the HP hose for the console, the inflator with a Dive Alert and knife, shears, and backup lights. The right side is open and there is just the octo from my back tank. Logically it also makes sense because I'm used to a second stage coming in from my right side.

Adam

It is my understanding that many technical divers who sling one stage bottle (please don't tell them that they are using a pony bottle) do so on the left-hand side since their canister light is always on the right-hand side. Also, said tech divers often have their SPG clipped off on their left hip D-ring, so there is a D-ring on the left-hand side on which to clip the stage bottle. A right-hip D-ring is not as common, hence stage bottle on the left.

Tech divers: please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Since I am right-handed I find it easier to manipulate the pony valve when it is on my left-hand side.

I am not a tech diver but try to follow some of the standards. I use a 30cf pony slung on the left. I am right handed and don't use a canister light but being right handed it is easier for me to interact with items on my upper left side like the pony valve, grabbing the pony second stage,... I went with a 30 for a couple reasons: 1) typically use it when diving >90' or penetration dives. 2) I use a LP95 so rule of 1/3rds leaves me with a 30 for redundant backup. 3) like the size better than a 40cf.

Haven't needed it in an emergency but have practiced the maneuver in case it is needed under stress. I got it after having a free flow at 100'. Realizing you are stressed when changing to it, I didn't want to restrict by only going with a 19cf. Since I sling it on the left, I put my light and retractable compass on the right. My octo is short hosed and necklaced with a 7' on the primary. It works out well.

It is my understanding that many technical divers who sling one stage bottle (please don't tell them that they are using a pony bottle) do so on the left-hand side since their canister light is always on the right-hand side. Also, said tech divers often have their SPG clipped off on their left hip D-ring, so there is a D-ring on the left-hand side on which to clip the stage bottle. A right-hip D-ring is not as common, hence stage bottle on the left.

Tech divers: please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Since I am right-handed I find it easier to manipulate the pony valve when it is on my left-hand side.

I leave the pony valve on when I dive so there's nothing to manipulate. Tech divers carry stage and deco bottles which are used in a planned maneuver, whereas the pony bottle is used in an emergency situation like the octo, so it should not be turned off.

Adam

Last edited:
I leave the pony valve on when I dive so there's nothing to manipulate. Tech divers carry stage and deco bottles which are used in a planned maneuver, whereas the pony bottle is used in an emergency situation like the octo, so it should not be turned off.

Adam

Many tech divers believe that pony bottles should be left turned off so that you do not lose gas without realizing it. The choice is up to the diver.

In terms of "manipulation" I do not limit this to opening the valve - it also applies to grabbing the regulator and putting it in my mouth.

Many tech divers believe that pony bottles should be left turned off so that you do not lose gas without realizing it. The choice is up to the diver.

In terms of "manipulation" I do not limit this to opening the valve - it also applies to grabbing the regulator and putting it in my mouth.

You also have to remember that if you pull the second stage from the left you need to rotate the reg such that the hose makes a 180 degree bend and is coming from the right, unless you have an ambidextrous or left hand reg. In a near panic situation you could end up with an upside down reg in your mouth.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom