Night Manta Ray Dives on Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, we don't have any dates yet but have a special deal with the Hilton Honors program. What is the best time of the year to go? We have been to Hawaii several times but mostly late May-august so have never seen the whales. One thing I have always wanted to do is the mantas and see the whales. We do most of our diving in Cozumel since the diving is good and it isn't that far from home.

Best months for whales are January through early March (seen plenty in December some years also) typically off Kona. Seas can be a bit iffy at times in January and February, it usually doesn't affect diving too much, but there can be the occasional days that it may be better to stay on land. If it were me shooting for both mantas and whales, I'd probably shoot for late Feb through early/mid March. No guarantees on either though, they're wild animals and the mantas can disappear from time to time.

I'm curious- what does "by the Sheraton" mean? I ask because I'm staying at the Sheraton next month, and I intend to do the manta dive. Is there snorkel access to the manta area there? I have no idea where the boats launch for these dives.

When you get to the Sheraton you'll know. It's on the mouth of a boat harbor and there are two snorkel catamarans that go out several nights a week. Just go to the bar after sundown, watch where the snorkel catamarans go, and decide if you want to make a go of it. Be extrememly careful if the surf is up. The dive operators and snorkel operators not based out of Keauhou tend to prefer the airport site... more mantas, more moorings, more protected water, easier spot to manage crowds, nicer reef... but the Sheraton is the backup site for most operators when it gets slow up at the airport.

check shorediving.com for a write-up on the manta dive from the Sheraton

check shorediving.com for a write-up on the manta dive from the Sheraton

Thanks, that was a good write-up. What's the deal with the stingers? I was debating whether to bring my lycra suit or just rent a thin wetsuit for scuba... but I never would have considered the lycra suit just for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom