Whale Sharks where to find them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are also reliable during certain months off Darwin Island in the Galapagos. We saw seven of them while diving there in October a couple of years ago, as well as a bunch of other cool critters.

Travel to more exotic dive locations would be wonderful. For guaranteed sightings close to the US, Cancun area.

This is my first visit to scuba board in at least 5 years... In July or August 2001 I posted a lengthy Galapagos Aggressor trip report ($$$$) which, if I recall, detailed diving with whale sharks. Not that I'm an aficionado, but I thought it was a very cool place to dive.

A co-worker went to Belize in the spring (again, this is like 10 years ago)... it wasn't the common dive destination, a southern small city, and she snorkeled with 'hordes' of them... cheap... might be worth looking into.

2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 69.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 74.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 48.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 130.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 75.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 55.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 8.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 41.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 66.jpg2011 Mexico Whale Shark Trip 26.jpg
I just returned from Cancun on a trip with the Georgia Aquarium research team. Definitely large populations of whale sharks off Isla Mujeres. According to the local guides, the population used to be centered off Holbox, but is now closer to Isla Mujeres. They still run trips out of Holbox, but they were having to motor 2 12 + hours to get to the prime whale shark areas. The ride from Cancun was about an hour.

A spotter plane identified over 100+ sharks in the main concentration (not sure how they count them so quickly?!?). In the water (snorkel only), we regularly could see 4+ whale sharks at any given time and were never without sharks for 2 days. Only on the last day when we made a quick side-trip to swim with manta rays did we not see any whale sharks. We went back to the area where we say them on the prior days, but the plankton (snapper fish eggs) bloom had dissipated and the whale sharks were gone. Only a few boats saw them very early that day and then they disappeared.

Great opportunity to easily see whale sharks in mass.

I have dived with them in the Maldives, only small ones.
Darwins Arch in the Galapagos was unbeliverable. Massive Whale Sharks on every dive, however you must be comfortable diving out in the blue as this is where we got the best interaction. Be careful of which month you go as I know people who have been to the Galapagos and not seen a single Whale Shark.
We went in October.

Last edited:
If you go to Holbox/Isla Mujeres during the season, the ops probably wont give you a GUARANTEE to see them.. But thats just to cover their back if something extremely unlikely happens. Theire there feeding all day and some of them are HUGE - even in whaleshark terms..

And yes, swimming with those things is just out of this world..

Absolutely Isla Holbox as many have said. Have been 3 times and each time there were likely as many as 50. Great close up encounters right at the surface

I have gone on a Whale Shark Expedition with the Shark Research Institute in 2007. www.Sharks.org. They have expeditions every year to different places in the world. I spent a week with researchers helping tag/dna sample/measure juvenile whale sharks in LaPaz Mexico. That is where the young ones come in for feeding and that is why the visibility is poor due to it being a rich source of food. Divers and non-divers are welcome to the expedition. Check out the website and see what expeditions they have. Also you can contact Marie Levine from the SRI and she can also help you with information on their expeditions.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:shark2:

Back
Top Bottom