Sept Short Trip Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an opportunity to take a short dive trip in September. There are a number of parameters making the site selection a little more complex than usual. I'd like to solicit ideas that fit these parameters:

1. 5 nights. Possibly 6, but probably 5
2. I'm Leaving from Baltimore/Washington area, meeting buddy in Miami, then going to destination
3. We will probably have to leave on a Saturday, but return on a Thursday
4. Buddy does not like to go deep - shore dives would be ideal
5. One person needs full equipment rental, one does not
6. Funds are not unlimited

At first Bonaire seemed like it would be ideal, but after researching the flight times and costs, I don't think I can make the scheduling work. Having such a short time, I don't want to spend the bulk of 2 days getting to/from the destination.

The best place I've found so far is been St. Croix. It's quick and easy to get there from Miami - Cane Bay seems to have good shore diving and boat diving. I've researched shore or mixed shore/boat destinations in other close areas like Bahamas, BVI, other USVI, T&C, but haven't found much yet. Key Largo is another possibility, though most of the trips I've done there have been mixed deep/shallow, there's no shore diving, and it's not quite as exotic as an island.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. And, yes, I know late September is the perfect time for Hurricanes to ruin everything. I may actually get trip insurance this time instead of rolling the dice like I usually do.

Thanks

And also take a look at Curacao. The diving is similar to Bonaire but the flights are more frequent and cheaper.

And also take a look at Curacao. The diving is similar to Bonaire but the flights are more frequent and cheaper.

I would have suggested Curacao as well.
American flys there daily from Miami (fare is not unreasonable)
Multiple dive opportunities Boat/shore/wreck
Multiple price points on lodging.

Thanks for the ideas. Between Grand Cayman, St Croix, and Curacao there are plenty of choices - now I just need to make a decision!

If you would like any info on Grand Cayman PM me ,I own on island .Also depending on when in September you are looking I can give you a good rate on a Two bedroom,two Bath,duplex condo with a car rental.

Here is the website:

Cayman Hotels: Turtle Nest Inn, Grand Cayman - Intimate & Affordable Beachfront Alternative.

Pm me if you would like more info,we also have dive packages available with :

DNS Diving Grand Caymans - The way to DIVE Grand Cayman

Not unlimited funds? Check out deals going on right now at Breezes in Curacao. Free night, airfare credit, all inclusive including beer and liquor. Dive shop on premises, excellent shore diving at resort. Shore diving at 'Dive Shack' next door. Check out 'The Dive Bus' across the street. With the airfare credit, you can fly American from MIA right now for chump change. PM for the lowdown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom