Breathing control!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get a CCR :p

i use ridiculous amonts of air when on open circuit. My lowest SAC (18.5L/m) was when I was on holiday (warm water, relaxed dive). On a stressful dive, I have used 36L/m (almost 1.3cf).

I got my average SAC down by doing the following:
1. get fit
2. stay warm
3. relax

Sergio,
Just get some more time under the water in scuba. It takes time to learn all the skills and be relaxed with these skills under water. The better your skills get, then the more relaxed you will be, then the more relaxed you are the longer your air will last.
So don't worry about it too much. Just dive and enjoying the fun world of scuba. Work or your skills while enjoying scuba diving and try and relax as much as possible. just takes time & experience. if after a 100 dives or so you're still using your air fast, then you might want to change something. for now...just enjoy!

Being an athlete definitely can be a double edged sword. I'm a lifelong cyclist with excellent cardio fitness and leg strength/endurance. I would guess my lung capacity is much higher than my smoking, non exercising dive buddies. When I started diving I would breath like I was cycling-big lungfuls of air and ensuing huge swings in buoyancy and rapid air consumption. I eventually figured out that swimming (except against a stout current) is not as hard as cycling and I don't need to be breathing like I'm hammering up a hill. After getting comfortable (not anxious) in the water so that my breathing slowed commensurately and matching my breathing to my effort more effectively, my gas consumption went way, way down. I don't meditate or do yoga, but diving is generally a very zen experience for me.

Athleticism covers a broad spectrum. Muscle mass volume plays a big role... so a body-builder or football player is going to have more problems than a marathon runner or climber.

I also was concerned about my air consumption and breathing when I first started. I have found that the best breathing exercise for me, is one were after I inhale, I exhale or visa versa if you prefer. As stated, get your weight right and work on your buoyancy, things will begin to fall into place as far as your breathing goes. Being relaxed and comfortable under water also helps a bunch.:eyebrow:

A big guy is going to use more air than a small guy all things being equal... it is just physics.

Work on buoyancy, relaxing, controlled measured breathing, etc. and it will come in time. But if you are a big guy you may want to get 100's as you will breath more and that is a fact. My buddy Dan has decant air consumption....for a 6'4" dude that weights 250.

It's simple, you want to waste less air? Then control your breathing.

Yes, But "HOW"? :D

Just relax? try to breath less? Some yoga apnea related technique?
Someone told me breath with your belly not with your lungs.

Any suggestion?

Actually it is simply "nearly everything" so often it is not simple.

Thx EastEndDiver, I've been skin diving for all my life, recently I started to scuba dive and I found it amazing. Only problem is that I'm 230 lbs and I pretty much finish my tank in a while.

Your suggestion will be "get a bigger tank?"

Height and fitness level are part of the mix, but so are relaxation and dive profile.

That's a good point GLWD, struggling trying to get controlo of my dive sound familiar to me, more buoyancy control can help me.

OK, so my comprehension of your profile page is limited, but I have worked with some top bodybuilders, pro football players, serious marathoners and Himalayan climbers.

After reading this thread twice, I think the good advise is scattered at best.

Sergio Longhi:
I've been skin diving for all my life

Working from this, I will assume your finning is what it is; changing a lifetime muscle memory is not a quick change, nor is it likely needed.

Likewise, your body and mind already have a handle on how much "inhalation" is required for a given muscle moment, so I agree with previous posts that recommend "normal inhalation", for the most part (more later).

Exhaling is the key for many divers. As a baseline, full exhalation gets rid of the most CO2 and CO2 buildup is often the trigger to breath. Full exhalation also gives your lungs the most negative average buoyancy through the breathing cycle.

When diving at a constant depth, I breath in "normally" and then exhale completely, taking about twice the time as the inhalation took.

My body position is typically slightly chest lower than fins, with a slight arch to the back. Moving forward there is "downforce" from both the body position moving through the water and from the angle of the finning, so my BC is slightly positive at the mid point of my breath cycle, from a stationary standpoint. As my lungs fill past this mid point, a small straightening of the "back arch" gives slightly more downforce from the forward motion water pressure on the body and from the finning angle, so "lift" is negated.

Complete relaxation of the upper body muscles is impossible, but being as upper body relaxed as possible is what I believe reduces CO2 buildup the most; relax those shoulders and limit arm movement. The brain is a major upper body muscle as well, and just thinking hard seems to increase my air consumption considerably. When solo or with my BDB my air consumption is way better than when guiding or teaching other divers.

As depth changes, the more anticipation the better. Going up and down a few meters can often be "handled" by small changes to the baseline breathing pattern; dipping down for a bit all I need is a slightly bigger than normal inhalation and not quite so full exhalation, rising up for a moment all I need is a slightly smaller inhalation with an extended time at full exhalation. If I know that I will soon be returning to the depth my BC was adjusted for, I can chose to "just" use lung volume until I get back to that depth.

When I know I will be changing depth for some time, I am already thinking about the best time to change BC inflation levels. Ascending is the direction that needs the earliest anticipation, because with each exhalation our tank's buoyancy moves in the positive direction.

Many divers make gear changes as they get more experience underwater, and then brag about how the gear changes made all the difference in their air consumption. They some how totally forget they also have more experience underwater.

For someone that has been skin diving all their life, more experience with a relaxed and controlled body position underwater is perhaps all that is necessary.

That said, this lean "tri-athlete wanabe" did drop significant coin on quality exposure protection and a couple 120 cft's. :D

Thank you everybody and thank you Brother for the complete and exhaustive relation, I will make a treasure out of every advice.

Today I dove better by doing a mistake, I checked everything, I jumped in the water, check other people, ok, signal down, deflate the BC..... nothing... mmhh... I tried to clean my cap from the air, squeeze as wall gloves and other part then I went down, 5-6 meter for a second check... I felt very light, floating soo good, what's going on? I FORGOT MY WEIGHT BELT, LOL. 4 kg less on a total of 8 that I usually ware with a 5+5 mm suite.
I went on pretty good on this dive, I was light, neutrally buoyant, but I didn't felt safe on the last safety stop, so next time it will be 6 kg total.

"also an athlete will usually use more air"

No, this is a misconception and often misinterpreted fact. A low heart rate(68 and below)helps immensely. While it is true that at "peak performance" athletes need more oxygen and can sustain that oxygen intake over a
longer period of time, at rest the consumption is much lower than most "normal" people(excepting of course bodybuilders who have a high muscle mass). Any athlete(or anyone in general)who trains aerobically on a consistent basis will improve his/her air consumption.
Get Wet!

On my last dive, I had my lowest SAC rate so far (just over 8 liters/min). I would explain it as due to more complete relaxation than my previous dives. The more comfortable I feel, the less air I use. To be fair, the dive was slow moving...looking for stuff to photograph, and not a constantly moving tour with lot's of depth changes.

I do make a conscious effort to slow my breathing at times. The more nervous I am, the faster I breathe. When I slow my breathing, I draw out the breath rather than hold it. Whether I'm doing it correctly or not...so far, no headaches.

I also use breathing for buoyancy control. However, I do wonder whether taking in a really full breath is a good idea. If you're sinking, you can breathe in...but if you have to go really full, it's probably better to hit your inflator button. A really full set of lungs doesn't leave much room for expansion if you start to ascend. Especially if you are shallow.

Back
Top Bottom