Manta Ray Night Dive - Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWPG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's a great new article just published on the Underwater Photography Guide that features the incredible experience of the Manta Ray Night Dive in Kona. Read about Scott Gietler's experience, how he captured his images, and learn how to improve your manta photography!

Manta Ray Night Dive article

manta-ray-5.jpg

Happy Diving,
Zig

Kona was awesome, I was there april 26th - may 2nd. We had 20 mantas on the manta dive. I dove with Kona Honu and Jack's diving locker, both were great operations. The pelagic magic dive was a blast also.

Vis was 50-70ft throughout the week, water temp was 77.

I hope you enjoy the Manta Ray night dive article that I wrote. I'll do a writeup on the Pelagic magic dive soon.

Here's a couple more photos from the trip:

1212-hydro-medusa_wm-M.jpg

1689-turtle-rays_wm-M.jpg

I am going to be in Kona in January and planning to do the night dive. I am not sure if there are any concerns given the rougher conditions in winter than a summer dive, but if anyone has any advice from experience trying the Manta Ray dive in January, please share.

Loved this dive. After the "show", we had two follow us back to the boat (Kona Agressor). They circled knoshing on nummies the boat's light brought in for most of the night. Not a difficult dive in most conditions, though suit out on the warm side as you'll be settled on the bottom for the duration without much movement. Note: The brighter your dive night the more Manta interaction you'll encounter.

I am going to be in Kona in January and planning to do the night dive. I am not sure if there are any concerns given the rougher conditions in winter than a summer dive, but if anyone has any advice from experience trying the Manta Ray dive in January, please share.

I was there this past December, and did a few manta night dives. The usual spot up near the airport was fine the few dives I was there (aside from not seeing any mantas on one dive), though my one dive at the other/alternate spot near the Sheraton was a bit surgey. Even with a few pounds of extra weight I needed to grip/straddle a rock trying to stay put on the bottom. Heard that's just how that spot tends to be though - not sure it's so much a winter vs. summer thing.

Has anyone heard of the manta dive at the Hilton hotel? Someone was telling me about it but I can't remember who it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom