Change in Plans - Now need info for Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be an excellent first night dive. I did a 70' wreck with 25' visibility on a liveaboard. First night dive of the week for everyone and the first ever for a couple of people. That was probably not the best choice.

I would definitely not recommend an extra 10lbs like someone else mentioned! I recommend an extra 3...maybe 4lbs.
Won't be enough, unless you usually go fairly over-weighted already.

Extra weight - hmmm. That was the only thing I didn't like about our manta experience, the DM added weight to our BC's and put 4 lbs in one of my pockets leaving me over weighted, and rolling to the right the entire time. In addition, people had to add air to their BC's for the swim back, and then almost every diver blew through their safety stop as the extra air expanded on the way up.

Perhaps an extra bit of extra lead could be ok, but evenly spread out so that you are still diving a balanced rig, and remember to dump some gas on ascent.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Questions about the manta dives - if I've not done a night dive before would I be able to go? (In other words could or should that be my first???)

Also, in some of videos I've seen of manta dive and descriptions read, it appears divers kneel on sand and shine lights up. Is this correct? If so how long do the divers kneel? I found during training dives that trying to stay in that position for extended time usually resulted ina cramp in leg...

I was in the same situation. I went with Jack's Diving Locker. The first dive company I called wanted me to have a logged night dive before they would book me. Didn't understand that one since it is about as mellow as a dive as you can do.

Glad I ended up with Jack's. Did the dusk and then the manta madness dive with them. Actually my favorite part was the tour after we watched the mantas for about 30 minutes. Night reef dives are amazing. All the lights shining in your face when you are watching the mantas was the worst part, the LED lights are so bright, especially from video cameras.

Love the night diving. When I go back, I am signing up for Pelagic Magic...Look it up.

I've made about a thousand blue water dives with perhaps a third of them at night. It is an incredible experience. Can anyone tell me how Jack's conducts the dives?

I've made about a thousand blue water dives with perhaps a third of them at night. It is an incredible experience. Can anyone tell me how Jack's conducts the dives?

I can! They typically take a max of six divers. There is not a strict experience level prerequisite...they ask that divers be comfortable in their diving skill, have good buoyancy control, have done a night dive before, and have some not-so-large number of dives under their belts (can't remember exact number but it may be on their website). Note: on their website this dive is listed under "advanced dives" as they used to have a stricter prereq. They start with a detailed briefing at their shop before heading out. This covers the marine life and the procedures and safety considerations for the dive. They go offshore a few miles where the water is thousands of feet deep. Divers are tethered to the boat and can ascend independently. Can't describe the exact tether system, but there aren't divers floating around untethered, that's for sure. They also put out a huge parachute as a sea anchor to slow drift. It's been a long time since I did it, but I believe we were hanging out at 50 feet deep. They allow for very generous bottom times. We saw an incredible variety of crazy creatures.
Cuddlefish

What I was specifically interested in was what sort of a tether system they used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom