hog 32# wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just want to get peoples opinion on this wing? Do I need an sta for it? Does it Taco, how streamlined is it, just like good things to know about it. This will be my first bp/w setup, I got a dive rite bp but was told by scuba toys I could use this wing with it. I was originally going to get the oxycheq mach v but after hearing complaints about broken pieces and terrible customer service my mind changed real fast. I was reading on sb about how hog has great customer service and customer service is a giant factor in my purchases. So please just tell me what you think of the wing and Chris I'd like to hear from you too :) thanks!

I have one, my wife has one, and a few people we know have one. Over 100 dives on mine and it is still going strong and I really like it

Pluses: Durable, works great, good price point, stable in water, does not taco

Minuses: not big enough for doubles

I dive the 32# as well. Love it. I dive it with an STA. supposedly you do not *need* an STA as it has a channel for the tank, but I like the STA for the extra weight and for the increased stability.

HOG/Chris is known for great customer service on these forums. He's very responsive.

The wing vents beautifully, and I have no problem dumping it from either top nor bottom.

I dive with the diverite backplate as well and diverite STA.

I love mine. Use it with a STA and Dive Rite BP (alum and SS), as well as OMS Profile sidemount system. The inflater hose is shorter than most but once you get used to it you'll like it.

I dive with a HOG 32# wing and love it. I do not use an STA as it's really not necessary with this wing. The built-in roll control keeps the tank very stable. The build quality is great in my opionion. I have about 150 dives on it now and it still looks brand new. It's a great wing, very durable.

For what it's worth, I also own a Oxycheq Mach V (the bladderless version/not sure if they are all bladderless?) I had to use an STA with this wing as I don't feel the tank was stable enough. The Oxycheq wing is definitely a little more streamlined/smaller, I will give it that. I use it as my travel wing. I had some major issues with it and don't recommend it. (Another story..but searching the forums should give you an idea).

I'd go with HOG wing, I own their 32#, 58# wings and a set of their HOG D1 regulators.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am also using it with a DiveRite SS Backplate, so it should work fine. I dont experience any taco-ing (is that word?).

Haha I think Taco-ING is a word but I think I may of came across your thread about the oxycheqs and I think that helped change my mind. BTW did your oxycheq prob ever get sorted out?

The phenomenon of "taco-ing" is a function of having too big a wing for the tank you are using. It's particularly noticeable when people make the mistake of buying a very large wing, in the hopes of being able to use it for single and double tanks. Most normally sized (32 pounds or less) single wings will not taco significantly when used with a normal sized single tank.

We have a HOG setup as one of our student rigs. I have no complaints about it at all. It holds the tank quite stable without an STA.

I too have a HOG 32# wing. I use it with an Apeks BP+Harness and an STA. You could do without the STA if you did not need the weight. It vents very well, as far as I can tell does not taco, and seems very durable. My only complaint would be the inflater hose length, I switched it for the one from my Apeks WTX4 after a few dives.
Overall, an excellent wing with the right price point.

I have been diving one for a couple years now and I have been very happy with it. I did get a longer inflator hose since the one that came with mine was too short. I use an OMS ss backplate with it.

Another happy HOG 32# wing owner here, been diving it for around a year and a half aqnd very happy with it. I do use a STA I feel it helps to keep everything lined up when switching tanks(Maybe this is just because I'm lazy:D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom