• Yes

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Working on it, or intend to soon...

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the sdi recreational solo cert but i rarely "use it"…

Is there any value in the solo card beyond limiting the liability of a charter boat crew, or at least putting their mind at ease? It is not like there are any revelations in the manuals or curriculum that isn’t pretty obvious.

Is there any value in the solo card beyond limiting the liability of a charter boat crew, or at least putting their mind at ease? It is not like there are any revelations in the manuals or curriculum that isn’t pretty obvious.

For people like you, no. :)

For others, like me, who lack confidence in others' buddy skills, the SDI Solo Course helped broaden my thought processes in preparedness, redundancy, and "what if" drills.

Is there any value in the solo card beyond limiting the liability of a charter boat crew, or at least putting their mind at ease?
A card has only one innate goal : to certify the competencies of his owner. By extension, a card is also useful to eliminate liabilities or insurance issues. For some people getting a card, any card actually is an objective in its own.
It is not like there are any revelations in the manuals or curriculum that isn’t pretty obvious.
A course has only one innate goal : to acquire new skills or adapt or refresh existing skills to new conditions A manual is just a part of a course. IMHO, it is difficult to judge a manual without considering the way the teacher uses it. According to the hicks law, it is not silly to covert only the basis. Keep It Simple Stupid like you learned.
Akimbo:
One of the things I learned early in my saturation diving career starting in the Navy: Redundant systems can conspire to make you less safe. It does not matter if the extra “systems” muddies your ability to accurately interpret and respond to failures or it is just too much crap to physically carry.

…For others, like me, who lack confidence in others' buddy skills, the SDI Solo Course helped broaden my thought processes in preparedness, redundancy, and "what if" drills.

Good to know, I am glad you took it as a sincere question. Had you taken the course with the intent to solo or for the purpose of improving self-sufficiency while diving with others? Had you been diving solo before the course?

In hindsight, was there anything tangible in the course that you might not have figured out had you evolved into solo diving over a longer time frame like many of us older guys?

Good to know, I am glad you took it as a sincere question. Had you taken the course with the intent to solo or for the purpose of improving self-sufficiency while diving with others? Had you been diving solo before the course?

Er, um, darned how you put that first question! :lol: The "or" is an "and" for me.

I took the course for the purpose of improving self-sufficiency while diving with others . . . My permanent dive buddy doesn't dive like the buddy I strive to be, and so I wanted the self-sufficiency. I also had a dive with an insta-buddy of the type "that makes you go 'hmmmmm'". I also recognized back then that I would probably dive by myself . . . but I want more dives under my belt before I do more than play around in 30-40' feet of a shallow bay or lake. I did not dive solo before the course.

In hindsight, was there anything tangible in the course that you might not have figured out had you evolved into solo diving over a longer time frame like many of us older guys?

Not at all. I would have learned this over time, but I do not have the diving mentors here that others have. As a newb, the course introduced me to many things, such as additional cutting tools, spare mask, signalling devices, etc. Before that course, if my buddy and I were blown off the line, we'd have nothing but that weak whistle that comes with the BCDs. I also learned about the rule of thirds.

Interestingly, after that course, I got into a discussion here on ScubaBoard where I was soundly castigated for using the 'rule of thirds', because it was for cave diving only, and "I wasn't properly trained in it", yada, yada.

I finally said - Look, I'm a newb, and if I dive solo, I LIKE the idea of diving one third out, one third back, and a third for emergencies. I also said that maybe after I have a 1000 dives, I won't be so conservative, but for now, as a newbie, the rule of thirds gives me comfort in its conservatism. Why is that so wrong?

. . . crickets chirping . . .

So many rush to pass judgement and tell people they're stupid, without bothering to understand the others' points of view. The boats, probably inundated by people that think they are better than they are, want to see a tangible proof of skills, either by demo or by card. Others will pursue the card because they either want to make the boat feel better or they like to collect certs. Lastly, others will pursue the 'card' because of the opportunity to learn with a practiced instructor and because we prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

:idk:

I would love to take the course, I would love to take tec schooling as well.....I just wish I lived closer to them and I wish some one eleis would pay for them.LOL It is hard to "go it alone" and it's a real pain in the a$$.

I got the card because I'd encountered a few ops where solo diving was allowed only if you have the card. The "just go with someone else" concept doesn't apply when you want to go to a particular location (such as a private dive park or quarry), and I figured that even with plenty of solo dives behind me, there might be something I'd learn from the class (or have reinforced by it).

I can't say I really learned anything, but it was a nice little review, *and* I got to disagree with the book on at least one particular. (My approach was apparently already in the instructor materials as a valid alternative, it seems, although I still think the book's default was impractical and potentially harmful.) The card has, on occasion, come in handy, although it's been a while since I've had to play it.

As an idealist, I could argue that the card is at best pointless and at worse a farce being used by lawyers and insurers to reduce access to sites. As a pragmatist, I would say that the card is a wonderful convenience when relevant. All in all, I'm content with having picked it up. If I were less experienced in solo at the time I took the course, I may have actually learned new things.

…I finally said - Look, I'm a newb, and if I dive solo, I LIKE the idea of diving one third out, one third back, and a third for emergencies. I also said that maybe after I have a 1000 dives, I won't be so conservative, but for now, as a newbie, the rule of thirds gives me comfort in its conservatism. Why is that so wrong?..

Not wrong at all:

The guiding light for choosing when to dive solo is feeling confident, even if that includes getting dressed. Ditch some crap until you can solo or dive with a buddy.

One of the things I learned early in my saturation diving career starting in the Navy: Redundant systems can conspire to make you less safe. It does not matter if the extra “systems” muddies your ability to accurately interpret and respond to failures or it is just too much crap to physically carry.

I mentioned on another post that the ability to dump gear solo diving is more important than your ability to physically carry it (or dress with it). The definition of “ability to physically carry” changes with circumstances.

This thread had more to do with the physical burden of equipment but the point is to be self-confident and comfortable. Make up your own rule of tenths if that makes you feel safe… and you can swim with a six-pack on your back. :wink:

Reactions: Jax
...Lastly, others will pursue the 'card' because of the opportunity to learn with a practiced instructor and because we prefer to learn from the mistakes of others...

For me, and I suspect many other pre-solo-course divers, the evolution came about naturally and went something like this:
  • Learn to dive with a buddy
  • Discover that it requires a lot of attention to maintain contact in kelp forests, bad visibility, and swift currents
  • Figure out that nobody wants to stop and look at what you are interested in. This process is greatly accelerated if you are a macro photographer
  • Discover that more and more dives consist of leaving the boat together and never seeing your buddy again until you are back onboard.
  • Mentally review your past 50 dives and determine that the primary advantage of having a buddy was to tuck in your hood.
  • One day; nobody you know wants to go diving, the seas are flat, and your tanks are full...
  • That wasn't much different, except for tucking your hood in was a PITA.

That wasn’t much different, except for tucking your hood in was a PITA.
Not to mention figuring out how to zip up a rear-entry drysuit without trashing the really expensive zipper!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom