In what way do you deal with your fin straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Springs are great, so are fins straps done outside to inside and then taped.

During the last 5 years I have managed to find 10 individual Aqua Lung rocket fins- all of them were with regular straps and duct tape approach- and not even a single one with springs... So, I am ambiguous on the subject- don't mind others using regular straps- keep'in the "supply line" but I prefer to use springs and not losing my fins- especially if solo'in :D

In the name of fun..........I just have to ask you this........so have you gathered up all these 10 fins or have you maybe seen the same fin for 5years??? Or do you now have 5 pair of Lungers laying around? AND if you do have 5 pairs how about selling me a set?
:rofl3::eyebrow:

I am not a fan of spring straps because I can’t determine if they are near to failure visually. I have used electrical tape to secure the bitter-end of the strap since getting my first pair of Jets in 1968 to minimize entanglement risk. A good quality tape like 3M stretched outlasts the strap itself.

Exactly which tape is that?

Exactly which tape is that?

Any high quality vinyl electrical tape that pros use. I have had good results with Scotch Super 33+ Premium Vinyl Electrical. I tried the typical home-center black electrical tape and found a huge difference in thickness and adhesive quality. The important part is to stretch it about 30% as you wrap and have clean hands. Oil from your skin can ruin the job.

In the name of fun..........I just have to ask you this........so have you gathered up all these 10 fins or have you maybe seen the same fin for 5years??? Or do you now have 5 pair of Lungers laying around? AND if you do have 5 pairs how about selling me a set?
:rofl3::eyebrow:

It is for real- I now have a set of fins for each member of the family- some of them will have to wait some a few years more to be able to use them :D when I'm back home I'll post a "fin family" photo.

One of these fins I got from someone else: a couple of years ago there was a young solitary male dolphin that stayed on the same site for many months. Divers, snorkelers and swimmers used to come early in the morning and play with him. Someone named him "Marco" and the dolphin apparently didn't mind. So, it wasn't uncommon during a dive to feel that "something is watching you" turn around and see the dolphin stalking behind ye.

To make long story short, in one of these dives I met the dolphin and I decided to try to arouse his curiosity so he stays with me longer than usual. So, I removed one of my fins and pushed it towards him to see what happens. However, Marco just looked at it and swam away. I thought to myself "damn, I got him scared". After a couple of minutes I see him raising lots and lots of sand, apparently pushing something on the bottom. When I got close to see what's going on, I see Marco is pushing a fin towards me. This is true story (no Sh!t) and I promise to post photos!

What happened with Marco? When he became adolescent, apparently people caressing him too much got him aroused (yep!) and he became slightly "over interested" in people, some of which got scared and run out of the water. After a while he disappeared never to be seen again. There are unconfirmed rumors he was caught by authorities and relocated to a remote area, but not before he gave me a fin gift :cool2:

Now that is a cool story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a drysuit guy I use spring straps, with a little handle on the back of them. I think they came from Trident. I commented to a buddy of mine just last week, that these things were the best thing since "sliced bread".

For years, I have been using full foot fins in warm water... big suckers... and they work fine although I sometimes get blisters. Pondering going back to boots and foot pockets, although I like to free dive between dives, so I'm "waffling"...

I use Force Fins, They come with a bungee strap, but it is not even necessary. The fins will not fall off!

fin family and Marco's contribution :)

Attachments

• screenshot-1316888199683.jpg
    screenshot-1316888199683.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 201
  • C360_2011-09-12 22-00-22_org-1.jpg
    C360_2011-09-12 22-00-22_org-1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 201
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom