Side Scan Sonar, Magnetometer & ROV Models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey ya'll.

Looking to get opinions on what is the better choice for finding sunken objects. I have a buddy who is well-to-do up north here and wants to spend some of his free time (& money, LOL :D :eyebrow: ) searching for wrecks and other stuff to find. I am trying to help him by figuring out what is the best of the best and what is a good overall product without spending a "boat load" of money to obtain as well.

A few of what I looked at online for him was the following items from JW Fisher. I also looked at some other ROV's and SSS units from other manufacturers, but don't know what is better/worse.

JW Fisher Proton 4
JW Fisher Pulse 12
JW Fisher SSS Dual Freq. 100K/600K
JW Fisher SeaLion

...etc.

Thanks for the help!

Sss is your best bet for finding anything that sticks up above the bottom. The best sss is a kline they have a sub bottom profiler. Kline are big $$$$.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yep...That looks familiar. I think I viewed them as well.

So in your opinion they are the better choice (money aside)?

I will add their products to the list.

Thanks! :)

Before dumping lots of cash into any instrument, check out high resolution surveys done by non-military government and academic groups. There isn’t much of the US coast in diveable and navigable range that hasn’t been mapped already by equipment mere mortals could never afford. From that you may find what you want with a GPS and decent fathometer. There are some amazing digital 3D modes available... unless you are looking for very recent losses.

How much money does your friend have. A Klein 3000 with an attached mag is the way to go. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's probably overkill but the Klein is a sweet easy to use side scan sonar. There are companies that rent them

What are you looking for, a large ship or a rocky ballast pile

How much money does your friend have. A Klein 3000 with an attached mag is the way to go. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's probably overkill but the Klein is a sweet easy to use side scan sonar. There are companies that rent them

What are you looking for, a large ship or a rocky ballast pile

As for money, he pulls roughly $250k+ per year so I am sure he has $$s to spend lol. As for what he wants to find...no clue. I think he is looking for both newly lost and old wrecks.

Hey ya'll.

Looking to get opinions on what is the better choice for finding sunken objects. I have a buddy who is well-to-do up north here and wants to spend some of his free time (& money, LOL :D :eyebrow: ) searching for wrecks and other stuff to find. I am trying to help him by figuring out what is the best of the best and what is a good overall product without spending a "boat load" of money to obtain as well.

A few of what I looked at online for him was the following items from JW Fisher. I also looked at some other ROV's and SSS units from other manufacturers, but don't know what is better/worse.

JW Fisher Proton 4
JW Fisher Pulse 12
JW Fisher SSS Dual Freq. 100K/600K
JW Fisher SeaLion

...etc.

Thanks for the help!

The Pulse 12 is not a good way to find shipwrecks. The Pulse 12 has about a 25 foot range, and is really just a large version of a handheld metal detector. IF you know where a wreck site is, you MIGHT be able to get a general idea of where a potential metal hit is on that site if you use the Pulse 12. Honestly, you're better off searching the grid with a handheld metal detector.

As for search tools to find a shipwreck. I would say your best bet is a magnetometer. With a magnetometer, you can find new and old shipwrecks, by locating the pieces and parts of the wrecks even if they're buried underground. If you know how to properly analyze the mag data, you can even tell that the object IS buried underground and how deep, and how much it weighs. The Geometrics magnetometer is top notch.

Sidescan while it's a great tool for searching large areas for objects that are above the seabed, if the object is buried, you won't find it with a sidescan. With that said... you can't go wrong with a Klein or Edge Tech sidescan.

Thanks the new posts and the link!

I spoke with a Klein Rep last week about their dual frequency model. He even made a good point that I have included in my information to help him make his choice. He mentioned that he could also "rent" out the SSS to local law enforcements and fire departments that can't afford the equipment when they need the help, they just call him.

Thanks again for all the help. I know Dan (my buddy's name) will greatly appreciate the aid. :)

(Wish I could afford these things!! :D Hell, I still am saving for a boat! LoL)

Back
Top Bottom