Virgina Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelsaint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to do wreck dives off of Virgina. Does anyone have a recommendation of a dive shop to go with? Also what wrecks would you recommend? I found a couple wrecks, are they any good?

Santore. (55 fsw) 7,117 ton US bulk cargo carrier sunk after striking a mine layed by the U-701 on June 17, 1942
Tiger. (60 fsw) 5,992 ton US tanker
Winthrop. (60 fsw) 189 ton tug foundered on July 20, 1920.
Brass Spike Wreck. (70 fsw) A wooden hulled steam assisted sailing vessel that we discovered in 1994.
Kingston Ceylonite. (60 fsw)both in Virgina

The most common wrecks that are dove here are the Morgan and Lucenbach. Both are approximately 100' dives and 35 miles offshore. Contact Dive Quarters for schedule and cost.

I went out on the Ocean Explorer. Nice boat nice crew. I'd go out with them again.

I tried to go out on the Miss Lindsay with Lynhaven dive center. They cancelled due to poor sales and didn't bother to call me and tell me. I found out when I called them to confirm. I live 3+ hours from them and was making a special trip. After a little research, I discovered they have a habit of turning people away at the dock when they cancel a trip. For this reason I doubt I'll book with them again.

I went out on the Ocean Explorer. Nice boat nice crew. I'd go out with them again.

I tried to go out on the Miss Lindsay with Lynhaven dive center. They cancelled due to poor sales and didn't bother to call me and tell me. I found out when I called them to confirm. I live 3+ hours from them and was making a special trip. After a little research, I discovered they have a habit of turning people away at the dock when they cancel a trip. For this reason I doubt I'll book with them again.

Thanks. That is helpful information.

The most common wrecks that are dove here are the Morgan and Lucenbach. Both are approximately 100' dives and 35 miles offshore. Contact Dive Quarters for schedule and cost.

Do they still have artifacts left on or around the wreck?

Many of the wrecks of our shore have pretty slim pickings for artifacts. You'll not find anything on the vessels sunk as part of the artificial reef projects. The Morgan and Luckenbach (WWII losses) have "stuff" to find. The best wreck to find artifacts is the Eureka, lost in 1888 it was loaded with merchandise and much can be found.
If you're interested in spearfishing or grabbing Lobsters, many of the wrecks will accommodate you. For Dive Shops, I use Dive Quarters.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Many of the wrecks off oc maryland have "stuff" as well as dinner for those inclined. OCDIVER is my ride of choice. Blowout calls are made well in advance to accomadate travelling divers and you can sleep on the air conditioned boat the nite before the dive. Offers all range of dives from 45 fsw to scarry deep depending on your taste.
Eric

I'm looking to do wreck dives off of Virgina. Does anyone have a recommendation of a dive shop to go with? Also what wrecks would you recommend? I found a couple wrecks, are they any good?

Santore. (55 fsw) 7,117 ton US bulk cargo carrier sunk after striking a mine layed by the U-701 on June 17, 1942
Tiger. (60 fsw) 5,992 ton US tanker
Winthrop. (60 fsw) 189 ton tug foundered on July 20, 1920.
Brass Spike Wreck. (70 fsw) A wooden hulled steam assisted sailing vessel that we discovered in 1994.
Kingston Ceylonite. (60 fsw)both in Virgina

I prefer the type of shallow water wrecks you have listed. How far off shore are these wrecks? Do you have any GPS numbers for them?

Many of the wrecks off oc maryland have "stuff" as well as dinner for those inclined. OCDIVER is my ride of choice. Blowout calls are made well in advance to accomadate travelling divers and you can sleep on the air conditioned boat the nite before the dive. Offers all range of dives from 45 fsw to scarry deep depending on your taste.
Eric

Where can I find out about prices and availablity? What kinds of stuff?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom