What's your best dive ever ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My best dive to date occurred just last Wednesday. I took my 14 year-old daughter on her first post-certification dive. Nothing fancy about the location (just a local creek), but being able to share the experience with her made the dive one that I will always remember.

"Ever" is a bit hard, but my two favorite this year were probably these:

Playing with several dozen sea lions for an hour
[vimeo]20507429[/vimeo]

Second half of the dive with great visibility and tens of thousands of jack mackerels
[vimeo]26306744[/vimeo]

Just glad I happen to be shooting video on both! :)

BEST?? I don't know if there was a best, but three come to mind:

- Diving Kealakekua Bay in Hawaii (The Big), 120' vis, two manta rays, an eagle ray, a giant blue trevally and a white tip reef shark all in one dive.
- Spearfishing in Destin, dive was cut short by two large Bulls (8-10') and still managed to come up with 60-70 lbs of fish. When back on the boat, we threw cigar minnows out and had one of the two sharks come within 3 feet of the boat.
- Spearfishing an oil rig out of Gulfport, MS. 40 miles out, 80'+ vis, and big fish everywhere. Four divers filled two large marine sized coolers in two dives. One 40 lb grouper.

Could you describe your best dive ever ? try to give us information like location , when did you do it , what did you see and why do you think it was your best dive ?
In some ways, a tough question - as Lynne and others have indicated. But, I will go for a dive on the Naeco, off the NC coast, on December 21, 2002. The Naeco is a WWII wreck, split in half across about 300 yards of bottom. It was an absolutely beautiful day, I was diving out of Morehead City with a small group of friends from our shop on a 6-pack, and was buddied with my (then 18 yo) son. It was my first ocean drysuit dive. He and I went to 138' (our deepest dives at that time), saw our first lionfish. saw a huge turtle, and we were the last ones to ascend. What made that latter part so really phenomenal - the vis was great, the sky was clear and the sun was out - was that when he and I reached the tie-in line to begin our ascent, we looked up and saw an enormous number of (sandtiger) sharks above us, hanging in the slight current, all essentially motionless and all pointed the same way, backlit by the sunlight on the surface. I will never forget it. And, having the chance to share it with my son was simply fantastic. Anything else must take second place, and there are more than a few of those.
Pics would be great too
And, I REALLY wish I had some, but I don't.

Without doubt Corfu back in 92. I saw many pinna nobiis, a kind of very large muscle. I have never been is such clear water before or after with the possible exception of being first in Waterhole at peacock where the water was so clear it seemed like I wasn't in a cave filled with water.

Dale

Keep it coming guys , anyone had a great dive in the read sea , Bahamas or south east asia ?

That's easy...two years ago on a nondescript little patch reef off Marathon in the Middle Keys. It was my son's first ocean dive, and he found a nurse shark under a ledge. Next would be our second dive that day...on Sombrero Reef...as soon as we reached bottom, two very large Eagle Rays cruised right by us. I could "feel" the thrill emanating from him both dives. I've been on some pretty awesome dives in my life, but those are easily the first ones that come to mind. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom