Traveling to Monterey - Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tungsten80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in N. Cal. the 1st week in Sept. and was interested in diving Monterey. Relative beginner with about 35 dives (hopefully a few more by the time I get there), but feel pretty comfortable in the water. I've been in cold water and the ocean before. I would require the services of a guide given my lack of familiarity. I will also need to rent tanks, weights, as well as a wetsuit (have rest). Any recommendations of shore diving versus utilizing the services of one of the boat operators? Any particular dive shop/operator the would be recommended? I tried to do it a few years ago (breakwater and point lobos), but it was way too turbulent with zero visability. Looking forward to the seeing a new place. Thanks in advance.

Bamboo Reef is excellent. I have used them twice in the last year. Both for a dry suit class and a guided dive. They had the best price by far for the class. Both guides were excellent.

From a vistor's standpoint, you can have a wonderful time shore diving Monterey, but make sure you get Lobos reservations for at least one day. (The dive shop, and I would also recommend Bamboo Reef, can help you with the reservations process.)

If you do go out on a boat, I'd highly recommend the Escapade. We have had a wonderful time each time we've gone out with them, and it's a very professional and safety-minded operation.

I'm beginning to think we need a sticky here on the Norcal forum akin to the Socal "Great Catalina sticky" that covers all the basics (boats, guides, at least 7mm suit, low vis, cold water, kelp, etc.) that get repeated here at least twice a month. I'm not saying it's bad to answer people's questions, just that it may be more helpful to have a link at the top of the forum that at least gives a decent overview. At the very least put the "New Monterey Diver" page in a sticky?

There's also Aquarius on Del Monte. I know they can set you up with a guide.

Escapade is a nice boat, but be sure to check out what sort of trip they have planned. They often do techie trips, which you aren't ready for.

Please define "cold water". Here it's typically about 51F in September.

If you are a new diver, I suggest Del Monte, which is an easy beach dive.

For more challenge, you can try Beakwater, also known as San Carlos, one of the most popular beaches to dive in the area. The water is 15’- 45’ along the wall and nearly 60’ for the Metridium Fields. You know you can enjoy diving here as well as checking your capability.
Barge not far away from Breakwater also forms a good choice.

And for guided dive, I can think of nothing better than Bamboo Reef. Fair price and great service.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom