What does a manifold do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a plug that can be put in the side hole to use the valve without a crossbar. Otherwise, as you implied, the gas would escape through that route. To complicate things, some of the valves can be converted to an h-valve by installing an additional fitting. These are also controversial.

The manifold connects two cylinders to form a “single” larger breathing gas source. The system have 2 pillar valves (thus two 1st stages needed each with its own second) and an isolating valve that can be used to separate the 2 cylinders in the event of regulator/hose failure on either side.

Been doing some reading and decided to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. So If have a twin tank setup with a 200 din manifold, will i need to run x2 1st and 2nd stage regulators? If so that would mean running x2 second stages (with hoses) and an octo on one or both? Sorry need a little clarification am new. Im trying to picture how many hoses with mouthpieces are on a dual tank setup and which would be most convenient to use with a ots guardian mask (having a regular back up mask of course). Responses appreciated.

I guess i need a parts list from the manifold to the face of the diver for a dual tank setup.

Been doing some reading and decided to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. So If have a twin tank setup with a 200 din manifold, will i need to run x2 1st and 2nd stage regulators? If so that would mean running x2 second stages (with hoses) and an octo on one or both? Sorry need a little clarification am new. Im trying to picture how many hoses with mouthpieces are on a dual tank setup and which would be most convenient to use with a ots guardian mask (having a regular back up mask of course). Responses appreciated.

I guess i need a parts list from the manifold to the face of the diver for a dual tank setup.

You simply need one first stage on each tank, one second stage one each tank, and a SPG on one of those first stages. Most people prefer a 5-7 foot hose on the right tank looped down their side and around their neck. Then a much shorter hose going from the left tank behind their neck to a bungee cord necklace that holds their second stage under their chin. The left tank reg gets the SPG on a 24" hose straight down and clipped to a hip d ring. The right also gets the wing LP inflator hose. The left would get the one for the dry suit if needed.

As James pointed out you will need a 1st stage for each of the cylinder valves. You will have a single second on each of the 1st. The "standard" is to run a long hose of the right post if you are standing behind the doubles. You also run the LPI of the right post. Your SPG and backup second of the left post. Thus you can use either second in case of a 1st stage failure with the faulty post shut, or isolator closed.

Hope this make sense?

Okay if you are willing, please give me your opinions on this setup.

1. Ots guardian full face mask with a short line running to the right out of the reg to the right post.
2. Lpi off the right post
3. 5' hose on the left post 2nd stage
4. Short hose on left post octo
5. SPG running of left post
or
1. Ots guardian full face mask with a short line running to the right out of the reg to the right post.
2. Short octo on the right post
3. LPI on right post
4. 5' hose on left post for
5. SPG on left post

Is it alright to have the long 5' line attached to your neck instead of in use by the diver and whats the best way to have a longer line for a friend while using my FFM?

Also curious if the octo on one post in the above setup is necessary. Thank you for your time!

Using a FFM makes things extremely difficult IMO, but sometimes they are needed. If I was running a FFM I would do it the same way as I posted above, and run the FFM off left post, not the right, using a short hose. Run the reg you will be donating, the long hose reg, off the right post. This is in case of roll offs. I would then wrap the long hose down and behind my head just like I was going to do if I was breathing it. I would then clip it off to my shoulder dring on a break-away connection. I would not add a third second stage.

Are you using comm's that make it necassary to use a FFM? What setup will your buddy be diving?

I have found that when I dive my Guardian FFM with doubles - the hose routes BETTER if you use a short hose from the right post to the FFM. I run a 5' hose from the left post, across my back at a slight down angle (from a reg with a bottom 5th port - like a HOG), under my arm and under my can light - then back up my chest to a necklace. The rest of the hoses are the same as everyone else.

The whole " left post roll off" issue seems irrelevant unless you are doing overhead penetration - which I rarely do.

Ive tried a lot of hos erouting option over th elast 2 years and 200 guardian dives - and this seems to be my favorite (as well as my buddies).

And BTW - yes - the COMMS have come in hands quite a few times so I believe a FFM makes diving safer.

I do, however (at this point) switch back to a long hose and standard mask when Im diving below 140 ft - to make gas switching easier. Anything less than 140 without gas switching is in a FFM.

Its not really the coms that are making the decision. The puget sound is home to where ill be diving and I wanted to keep my face warm and protected. My buddy already has the guardian with coms and dives with it every dive so I figured it would be practical to do the same. Also its either the guardian with coms for around 1100$ or a 500-600$ dns stage 1&2 and mask setup. For what the ffm seems to offer i am thinking it will be worth it in the long run, but im not sure as i have only dove a handful of times and never used an ffm. I have been researching the use of the guardian though and it seems easy enough..

Should I expect problems with the guardian using it on the left post? Since the line goes right i'd like to do it that way if possible.. What are the problems with left post roll offs? Also on the post with out the ffm, is it necessary to have the 2nd stage and octo? How much safer would it be having the octo?

Not all manifolds require two regs. I like the traditional type with one valve and one regulator post in the middle of the manifold.

Thanks a lot, I would still want the benefit of post isolation, im allso curious which type of regulator is easier to work with/less parts.. pin or diaphragm..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom