New to spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shea87

New
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to spearfishing, and was wondering if anyone knows any good spots for beginners around Oahu? I've got my basic equipment: Float, flag, knife, pole spear, snorkel and mask, and fins. Just need to find some mellow spots to go to so I can get better.

You would do well to check out the Hawaii Regional forum as well as Spearboard.com. I've been to Hawaii (the Big island) as well as Oahu several times and loved spearing there. I don't know if it is true on all islands but there is something to the effect of: It is illegal to spear on any north facing shore, national parks, wildlife refuges or within 100 feet (maybe yards) of a public beach, etc.. Basically, check out the regulations before you go anywhere.

On Oahu, I went spearing just north of Waikiki Beach with a few locals and we had a blast. It was 45-60' deep and about 250-300 yards from the shore. There was an inlet about a mile south of this location where several dive boats left from when they took divers to the Corsair wreck. I would give you specifics if I could, but I don't remember the name of the road/beach. But hey, finding a place is just as fun- especially when you have the blue waters of Hawaii surrounding you!

Good luck!

Thanks John. Will check that stuff out. Like i said, im just starting out, so it might be a little deep for me till i get better and get my breath holding better, but ill definately keep that in mind for the future.

Back
Top Bottom