Diving Hong Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just found out that I am likely to be visiting Hong Kong in May 2012 for a conference. I'm curious about the diving opportunities as the only shop I seemed to find is SplashHK.

My wife, and perhaps my 17 yr old son, will also be joining me as we will plan to bring all of our own gear with the obvious exception of tanks and weights. We'd ideally like to do some boat charters. Is it possible to see the famed Hong Kong pink dolphins while diving? Are there interesting wrecks of Chinese ships/junks?

Sure appreciate any insights that may be provided as this is a part of the world that I have never visited.

I never heard any LDS organized trip to dive with the pink dolphin in HK. You should be able to spot them on the surface from one of those sightseeing boat.
As for the interesting wreck? Well....

Expect awful vis.

There are quite a few LDS and their addresses are listed on SB.

Are you aware of the Diving Express charters? They list the following locations for May 2011 charters: Shelter Island / Ung Kong Wan / Sharp Island / Jin Island / Po Toi / Trio Island / Long Ke / Kau Sai / East Dam. Do you know what one might see (even with poor viz) at these sites?

Too bad about diving with the pink dolphins, seems like it would be a special experience. We'll likely go out to see them on a sight seeing tour in any event.

You are highly unlikely to see any fish bigger than 6 inches and the dive no deeper than 18m.
Small critters are the norm.
I am afraid the underwater scene in our local water would not get your adrenalin rushing. Leave your gear at home and save the space for shopping.
However, the boat trip is very nice especially away from the concrete jungle.

A side trip to Philippines would be a different story.

Are you aware of the Diving Express charters? They list the following locations for May 2011 charters: Shelter Island / Ung Kong Wan / Sharp Island / Jin Island / Po Toi / Trio Island / Long Ke / Kau Sai / East Dam. Do you know what one might see (even with poor viz) at these sites?

Too bad about diving with the pink dolphins, seems like it would be a special experience. We'll likely go out to see them on a sight seeing tour in any event.

Diving Express has a good reputation. Those sites mentioned will feature a variety of Cnidaria and other marine life that is featured here: hkfishnet

I'd also suggest leaving the gear at home and rent, unless someone else is paying for luggage!

good luck

The landscape in north-eastern coast of HK is very nice to justify a day trip.
Bring a swimming trunk and factor 50 sun-tan lotion as well.

I live in HK and can only recommend you to join us on the SplashHK boat. Diving Express is also ok, but caters more to the chinese crowd and as the only foreigner that might feel kinda akward.

I live in HK and can only recommend you to join us on the SplashHK boat. Diving Express is also ok, but caters more to the chinese crowd and as the only foreigner that might feel kinda akward.

:confused: mofo -- this may come as a surprise, but the "Chinese crowd" is cool and speaks good English... the Splash crowd seem to afraid to get out of their expat comfort zones. :eyebrow:

no matter - ScubaGypsy has enough time before May 2012.

Just last weekend I happened to be in HK on a business trip. I contacted

http://www.posc.com.hk/act01.html

a few days before and went diving with them. Spend a nice Sunday in the waters of the New Territories, very pleasant, nice crowd, acceptable food, just nice. Better than shopping all weekend, or working emails... Anyway, the waters are quite empty, though, and you do see the occasional fish and crab.

Splash HK does not have its own boat. They charter one of the Diving Express boats once per month for a fun diving day with a group that is largely made up of expats. On other days, they share the Diving Express boats with other divers (mainly Chinese). In either case, the group is usually great, but the boat is likely to be very crowded. One problem is that the boat captain often lets the engines run non-stop and breathing exhaust fumes during longer surface intervals really isn't fun. Especially when temperatures hit 90 f and the relative humidity is over 90%.

I really like the boat trips organized by Hong Kong's non-profit diving clubs:

Hong Kong Underwater Club (HKUC)
South China Diving Club (SCDC)

You can simply come along on the boat trips organized by the HKUC as a guest and don't have to join the club.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom