269 and retirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For years I have joked about retiring when I hit 270 recoveries. I have retirement from the Sheriff’s Department in the works and it should be rather soon depending on how the numbers work out. But unfortunately 269 showed up yesterday.

Post Falls man drowns at Corbin Park - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

The two old farts, our token Fireman and I swam all the way across the river to get the victim. We are just getting way to old for this stuff. The young bucks went way to far down stream to start searching based on witness statements. I listen to witness statements but don’t put a lot of weight on them in a situation like this. As soon as they get some information it seems to be what they just saw.

We have had a few callouts and rescues but our fatalities have been way down for a change.

I hope 270 never gets here but I know it will. It would have been nice if people had used their heads and #1 never got here to start all of this.

Spokane County next to us has been very busy.

Sorry Gary, but I think that this is completely unacceptable and incorrect!!!!!! Your actual number was 370 and you have MANY years to go!!!!

Joking aside, it is like the end of an era! You have been doing this forever and it will be a great loss to the people you serve. I wish you well and hope that you can still enjoy some rec diving in your retirement. Take care and stick around to share your knowledge.

Dan

For years I have joked about retiring when I hit 270 recoveries. I have retirement from the Sheriff’s Department in the works and it should be rather soon depending on how the numbers work out. But unfortunately 269 showed up yesterday.

Post Falls man drowns at Corbin Park - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

The two old farts, our token Fireman and I swam all the way across the river to get the victim. We are just getting way to old for this stuff. The young bucks went way to far down stream to start searching based on witness statements. I listen to witness statements but don’t put a lot of weight on them in a situation like this. As soon as they get some information it seems to be what they just saw.

We have had a few callouts and rescues but our fatalities have been way down for a change.

I hope 270 never gets here but I know it will. It would have been nice if people had used their heads and #1 never got here to start all of this.

Spokane County next to us has been very busy.

I'm not really a "young buck" but I sure do appreciate an old fart like you and all the wisdom that goes with it that you have shared here. Thank You :clapping:

Reactions: Jax
Here is the plan that is in the works that was cooked up by my Major. I separate from the department on 022912 a day after my 65th birthday. Then on 030112 I get sworn in again as a reserve. Normally reserves have to do 16 hours a month in patrol. But it looks like my 16 will be working with the teams and where ever else I can help. So I guess I’ll be retired for about 12 hours. Hehehe, I came in as a reserve and I’ll go out as one someday.

Over the past few years I have limited the amount of dives I do. If I keep doing them the fng’s will never learn. Now I will have the time to grab them one at a time and work one on one with them in everything from just getting comfortable to keeping control when the flies hit the Westinghouse.

Over the years I have been blessed to have been part of a team with a great bunch of guys and gals. Many have come and many have gone but with every change they have come together as if they were one. When things get tough they dive right in and get the job done yet still have the balls to stand up and say I can’t or I don’t want to do the dive and no questions are ever asked. That is a tough act for a cop to do.

Just a few days ago we had a mental :shortbus: wonder out in the toolies next to a campground and get stuck in the muck. Our newest and smallest team member suited up and went after him without batting an eye. There are areas out there that are 10+ feet deep and the mud under the plant life is the worst but he did what he had to do and the guy got transported to the nut house instead of the morgue.

When it was all over and he was getting unsuited he looked at me and said I should have listened to you about the red and white zip ties in the suspenders because I’m all screwed up. I got a good laugh when he unzipped and I saw the very unusual route his suspenders took. He’s learning and in time will be very good. This was his first real operation and he came through like a champ even with his suspenders making a strangle hold on the boys. :crying: He had a job to do and he didn’t let his discomfort slow him down from saving a life. That’s typical of the guys on my team. They make me very proud to be a part of it.

Wow, take a break from the board and see what you miss! Congrats on the great news Gary! Best wishes for happiness in your retirement, you have earned it friend.

John Ski

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom