Clarks Hill Lake/Lake Thurmond Dive Map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A small adjustment or two to keep up with the changes. Someone put a satellite dish on the top of the 80' wall. River has been great. However, might want to check with me before you come this way as the city has hired a firm to use aquatic herbicide to kill of the weeds this summer. Wouldn't want to dive in that. They say they will give us notice. Definitely want to dive it as soon as it is safe. There are really multiple dive sites in the river: The big drift from 5th street to the boathouse about a mile downstream (shipwreck, remains of old cotton docks and Hamburg bridge), the rail road tressle, and N. Augusta Boat landing (a really different dive that used to be in the fall line of the river before they put in the lock and dam - boulders, sheets of rock). We usually dive 100 minutes - 120 minutes on the river dives. Tired this evening: total of 241 minutes UW in 3 dives today and yesterday.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm for real diving this weekend. Let me know when and where.

Thanx for the great dives today, diveprof! It was a lot of fun. Even though we didn't see that much marine life, I'm glad I got some practice in suboptimal visibility. Hope to dive with you guys again soon.

Yes, there wasn't as much fish life Sat. Conditions improved Sunday and today. One diver today commented that he had not seen so many different fish on one freshwater dive. Oh no, not saying where. Don't like the fishermen in the way.:D Vis was up to 20' above 15' and 15-20' on the walls. Highlights were a 3' carp, huge bass, a crappie the size of a dinner plate, and cats deep. We dove the 100' wall both days and found some new brush piles at 30' . There are thermoclines which in freshwater translates to lower vis until you break through below. Today's dives were 103' for 70 min. and 100' for 63 min. Great day of diving. Cannot do the dives we are doing on tables. A computer is recommended.

Great thread and map! I am anxious to dive this lake when I get back to the states!

Couple of nice dives today at E. Dam Clarks Hill. Dive one 101' for 1:18 and dive 2 90' for 1:08. On dive oen we dove the 3 big rocks, 80' wall, first part of the 100' wall and then upward to the 63' wall and to the safety stop for some in the Elodea (aquatic weeds) for the small fish and a few bass. We then dropped back down to the pool filters, 3 big rocks, plane, ski boat and finished on the rocks of the dam.
Nice fish life.
dive 2 was the reverse 80' wall (entire wall), wing tank, plane, ski boat, and rocks of the dam. Great day of diving. Vis 15' above 15', then (due to thermoclines) about 6' to 28', then 15' of vis, another layer of bad vis from 40-50' until the 3 big rocks and about 15' on the 80 and 100' walls.

Hey folks,
I am new to this site but live in North Augusta and have been diving the river quite a bit and at the lake also. Of course, living here, I have been swimming, canoeing, kayaking, floating, whatever the river since I was twelve. We have really been enjoying diving at the lake lately though. The plane and boat are kinda bland now but deep dives at or below the main wall are great. We cruised the wall all the way down to the 100" wall last week in the evening and it was a very nice dive. Lights are needed in the evening with the sun going down (or after dark of course) but the lake dives have a lot to offer. We are headed up there for an evening dive about 6:30 today. Glad to see others know the pleasure and gift of having this place so close by. Neptune of Augusta is dive shop for the area and offers great products, classes and all around good folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom