Search for the SS City of Ainsworth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UASBC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Search for the S.S. City of Ainsworth
July 8-11, 2011

The expedition is planned for July 8 to 11. The trip objectives will be to relocate and film the paddlewheeler, map the location of shallow water artifacts and dive other nearby sites (i.e. Proctor rail cars) as time permits. The cost will be around $200 per person covering the vessel and food while on board. There is a max of 6 people on this trip due to vessel size. This is a very interesting trip due to the artifact field and a chance to see a SideScan Sonar and ROV in operation to relocate the paddlewheeler.

Please contact Bill Meekel (bmeekel@shaw.ca) ASAP for more information or if you are interested.

It will be for sure.

What do you make of this wreck - do you think it can safely (and should) be visited again by divers?

On a complete side not, I saw some a video a while ago of you diving a BC Ferry in one of the lakes in the interior. What can you tell me about access, depths, and hazards? Might be worth checking out next season.

The Ainsworth can be dove but at 365' it is a big dive to be sure and not one to be taken lightly. Whether or not divers should visit it again depends largely on how efficient the ROV will be this coming weekend. Sometimes divers can get better footage, thus better results than an ROV.

The BC ferry is the Anscomb (sunk 2004). Like the Ainsworth it is in Kootenay Lake but at Woodbury. Access is from shore, depths are 100'-180'. Hazards? Depth, some overhead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the Anscomb.

Let us know how you guys make out with the City of Ainsworth.

I just received a short note from Bill Meekel which read "We got some video of the City of Ainsworth wreck on the bottom of Kootenay Lake last weekend." It sounds like the expedition was a success! The video will be edited and posted online soon...

We apologize - it seems we at the UASBC are collectively going to have to put our foot in our mouths. The Board of Directors has decided that due to the sensitive nature of this historically significant site, the ROV exploration footage will not be posted online for viewing by the general public. We hope you can understand our commitment to conserving British Columbia's heritage resources, coming before our very real desire to share this information with the public at large.

We apologize for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom